What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watering system

W

Warped54321

Ok, I have a 10 gallon aquarium that i'm planning to make an terrarium out of.  I have a couple D.Capensis and a couple D.Spathulata (just to test out and see how they do, if they do good i'll add a couple of other plants later) that I'm gonna put in there (whenever they arrive&#33
wink.gif
 I would like to know how I'm going to set up a watering system in this thing.

I read somewhere that you could build a "well" out of non alkili stones...I have no Idea what that means...but I thought that rocks would put harmful minerals into the soil which kills the plants!?

And I read i need to keep a bottom layer of sand or something downthere and keep the water level a couple inches above it...how will I do that without algae and stuff building up down there  
confused.gif

So, How am I gonna safely water this thing, I don't have much money at all.  

thanx for your time-Warped  
alien.gif

For a terrarium I would go with D'amato's greenhouse style setup. Just put the pots of plant in ther with their own water saucer and water manually. You will nto need a watering system in a terrarium. Evapotranspiration is minimal and water will be held in a terrarium for very long periods of time.

Ok, yeah...(i didn't mean to include the word system in "watering syster"
sad.gif
)

I'm making this terrarium for someone...It's gonna have drosera capenthis, dorsera spathulata, probally a nepenthes, some live moss, and maybee a tree frog (hasn't desided on that yet. So I need to make sure of something, You can't use that aquarium gravel stuff with carnivorous plant's can you (because of minerals and stuff)? How about marbels?

thanx-warped
alien.gif

This is going to be a planted terrarium correct? If so then I would suggest some of the fish tank glass marbles at the bottom for a visable water table. Maybe some sand too. To primary tank mix would be a mix of peat moss crushed up perlite (wear a dust mask when grinding it up&#33
wink.gif
and just make a hole stuffed full of pure sphagnum moss for the nepenthes.

Thanx...Helped alot
biggrin.gif

Were do you reccomend purchasing live moss, and were am I gonna find a tree frog? (i've already found a couple places, but i wanna make sure I keep my oppurtinities open
wink.gif
)
-warped
alien.gif

What kind of moss do you want. DO you want a tropical pillow moss, green moss, java moss, or sphagnum moss?

OK here is my soln to the water table.

I have a large bog bowl. I use a one liter coke bottle that I have disguised by using silicone to glue cork to the outside I then built a wire rack to hold it at the water level that I would like to achieve. I then fill it with distilled water flip it over and the water table is set. Evaporation drops the water level. and then the coke bottle takes a bubble and releases the water. Surprisingly easy huh.

Take Care.

Back