What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watering sundews?

Ok I know this is a stupid question but, I understand Sundews produce DEW.. My question is, when im watering my plants do I just water the soil around the plant? or is it ok if i spray the plant itself? If I spray the plant would it affect the dew?

From what I have been able to gather by reading previous threads, spraying a fully bedewed Drosera with water will lead to the mucilage temporarily lessening and/or disappearing.  However, a happy, healthy plant should have no problem recuperating its lost dew. Plants in the wild have to produce new mucilage all the time considering they are exposed to rainstorms, floods, etc.

To my mind, Drosera need to transpire just like any other plant and will have trouble doing so if all the pores are clogged up with dust.  Therefore, for those of us who grow on windowsills, wouldn't a good monthly rinsing down with purified water be good to clean the housedust dust off of the laminas underneath the tentacles?  And wouldn't that ultimately mean a healthier and more vigorous plant?

I think I need to experiment more!  
smile.gif

I use a spray bottle to "mist" all my plants about once a week. The dew will come back quickly on a healthy plant. I still use the water tray method on all my plants though. I've heard some Drosera species do not like overhead watering, but I've never noticed any ill effect.

We've had the debate before about watering from above or below. Some plants do not fare well with overhead watering - like Cephalotus. The argument for overhead wstering is that it helpd to leach out impuritied. The con is that it compacts the soil. A lot of dews will glisten with dew if under water. Sunlight is your biggest factor in dew production. I think some people mistakenly view the dew as being a function of or made up of water. Misting is normally asssociated with Nepenthes.

im planning on moving my plants from a 2 1/2 gal tank to a 20 gal long tank... I guess when I do make the transfer, I'll set up small rocks on the bottom of the tank to create a drainage and I guess this could be a way I can water them from the bottom?...

That would be fine. just make sure the rocks you use are washed well. You can even use a little vinegar as a quick test as to their pH. I took a peak at your grow list. Except for brevifolia, I grow all of them. Those which you have do wonderfully well in an "open tray" set up, with as much light coming through the windows as possible and air circulation. From what I have observed, a terrarium set up to create a humid environment can be counter-productive. many peoply have discovered that covering them cuts the light down and can lead to mold. Just food for thought.

I have D.tokaiensis growing in a fairly small brandy snifter (no option of bottom watering,so it's a pretty good example)
I just pour water in there every few days, sometimes I accidentally submerge them a bit, even, and they show no ill effects- from my experience the "dew" doesn't really dissolve in water, as long as you apply it gently

And what Jimscott said is true- with Drosera, super-high humidity seems to cause more problems than it solves, open tray is quite good enough for everything I have so far, can't stress enough that light is the key to dewey dews

Bear in mind that in nature, these plants get rained on. So they do get a washing every now and then. As long as you aren't misting the heck out of them every day, they should be fine. I overhead water most things with no ill effects (being more careful with plants that tend to crown rot). I think a good rinse is good...sort of like mimicing rain in its native environment. I'm sure it helps them to get the bug husks washed off some.

I grow my cephs in raised mounds, so they can drain better. This also seems to encourage runners.

I guess I can just mist them once a week or so.. and then just make sure the bottom soil is most at all times.

I don't mist mine at all.. somehow my fluorescent tank manages to have high humidity all the time, although it's been months since I last sprayed or poured water on the gravel in the bottom. But there's still good ventalation. Go figure. It's a mystery.

I think i am going to transfer my plants from an aquarium tank to a window sill type pot. Therefore I can have the water tray. It just seems easy to water, especially when you have to go on trips for a few days.

I have to agree with the statements regarding the need for good light for good dew. Drosera appreciate fresh air and good air circulation and grow better for me outside the terrarium where the light isn't cut back by the glass. Another common error is in thinking the mix Drosera are in MUST be sodden all the time. It's fine for the water tray to sit dry for a day or two: it brings oxygen into the spaces in the mix, discourages some bacterial processes and is generally good housekeeping (it also gets rid of potential mosquito larvae). Top watering is always in order. Many Drosera species grow only where there is water percolating through the mix. I have never found any "compaction" issues from topwatering with my plants. I try to avoid wetting the leaves of plants in terraria situations, but plants in good air circulation do not object. Top watering also washes dead dprey off the leaves, and these corpses are often colonized by nasty fungi that can affct the plants. I have grown over 20 species totally submerged for weeks, and the dew returns within hours when they are exposed to the air again. Misting is ok, but probably not needed for humidity reasons as much as for washing off the leaves. In other words, don't worry about it. Worry about getting your plant enough light and a very nutrient poor mix to grow in and pure water to water with - then you will be on Dew Street.

Thanks for the info TAMILIN DAWNSTAR

In my fluorescent tank, the bulb shines directly onto the plants.. the only plastic cover is the cut sheet of hard plastic with holes in it that covers the part of the mouth of the tank not already occupied by the fixture.

By the time my plant has a lot of insect husks on a leaf, that leaf dies naturally...so it's not an issue for me. I sometimes overwater via overhead method (so water spills all over the sill) so I prefer to bottom water. Only times I've seen loss of dew are aphid attacks, the plant isn't acclimated to the humidity, or the soil has been bone-dry for too long. I have only seen fungus from insect carcasses on leaves if the humidity is too high and there is no air circulation.

The tray metion works best.

Back