What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water'in the lil buggers!

Yea, I just bought a sundew a day or two ago from franks nursery. It came with a little like clear plastic cup over it, and its normal sized. Now I was wondering, should I fill up the tray its sitting on with distilled, like I do for my VFT and Butterwort, or should I just mist the cup with distilled and put it over it? Should I alternate or what? Thanks, any possible help will be gladly accepted.

treat it exactly like your flytrap (except for dormancy)

UHm... except for the humidity part right? Because im not giving my flytrap humidity, im just gonna keep it normal.

Yes, sundews will most likely need slightly higher humidity so they can produce dew, and yours may need more for the time so it can adjust to the new area.

Cole

I would place it in the tray water, but be sensitive to it. If it appears dewless, you should cover it until the dew appears, but try to gradually reduce the covering over time.

I have found that sundews can adapt to "normal conditions" just like VFT...in other words, it isnt really necessary to provide them with extra humidity..(well..D. capensis and D. Binata anyway..I wont speak for any other species..)
I have three D. Capensis that have been growing in a window at work for 4 years continously..big bushy plants, lots of dew, they flower..they are right out in the open, no extra humidity at all..same coinditions as any normal "house plant"...
my big D. Binata just came out of the fridge with the VFT's and Sarrs..it also gets no special treatment when it comes to humidity...doing fine!

scot

Back