What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

water wall terrarium and arborious plants

boxofrain

does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
I have some leftover tanks from my fish days.
I am looking at making a "water wall" from a coco fiber mat hanging in the back of the tank.
I am looking for some smaller species of plants to fill in the wall.
They must be able to handle lowland conditions, as this is my target.
The tank I plan to use is about 42" long x 22" wide x 36" deep ( or somewhere close).
It is approximately 70 gallons or so.
Thanks for any input here..pro or con.

well, I did find some small plant sites on the web. With a few good possibilities for "wall coverings" of mosses and such.
I will get an orchid book and see if any of them would fit into the setup I have in mind.

I would like to dissuade you from the coco-fiber (I've done it and been less than pleased) and suggest instead the clay wall which is simply: 50/50 kitty litter and sphagnum peat moss, if you don't have an automatic mister like the ones used in Dart Frog setups the coir fiber wall hangning and spray foam/silicone & peatmoss style backgrounds are too hard to keep moist all day long with a single soaking. The clay background goes from the floor of the tank up to the top (about 2" thick), you can sculpt shapes and embed branches into it, poke plants into it, stuff bits of moss here and there, as long as it stays moist the clay will stay up and hold just enough moisture to grow almost anything you want, moss, CPs, orchids, small terrarium epiphytes, ferns, etc.

Here's my DIY tech on doing the clay wall": http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123307

Most all of my tanks are setup this way now, as long as the substrate stays moist and you spray the tank at least once a day with a decent garden soaker (the one gallon pump action style sold for pesticides and stuff) you can grow a lush back wall relatively quickly without expensive equipment. I always look for the cheap/easy way out! LOL

very nice! that is what I want to see in my setup.
I will be doing this project soon.
Not much time in the day right now as I am working out of town and have a nice drive of an hour each way.....takes out of my play time:-(
I will be picking yer brain a bit on which planst to use.:hail:

Back