What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water temp

• Thread starter Trapper7
  • Start date
Scottychaos: I have no idea why I got another heater. I guess cause I'm an idiot and thought it would solve the problem, lol. I am using two 120V 15W incandescent bulbs. The light is built into the hood so I can't move them higher. I have them on all day, from 7am-8pm. Nope I don't have real plants. I just took out one of the bulbs, so I'll see if that helps, it should though. I'll go get some fluorescent bulbs this weekend. I just didn't think 2 15W bulbs would do this!

well..15 watt is pretty small..
I doubt you will find bulbs of less wattage than that..
so you really cant generate less heat from the bulbs themselves..(unless you can find a fluorescent substitute that will fit the hood..which might be difficult.)

if you cant find fluorescents, just keep the lights off then you arent home! ;)
the fish wont care..

before I had live plants, I only had my tank lights on 5-10pm, while I was home in the evenings to
enjoy the tanks..if I wasnt home, lights stayed off.

(without live plants) the lights are only for the human's benefit..
the fish dont care if the lights are on or off..it makes no difference to them.
and it sounds like in your case, the fish would do better with less light..(because of the heat)

Scot

Thanks Scot. I'm home 24-7, but I'll still keep the lights off and I'll turn them on around 5. Good idea :)

Just another update on this. So far it's going well :) I've been keeping the lights off until 5pm and I also took out one of the bulbs, so when it is on, it's just one. The highest it will go now is 80F, but for most of the day it's at 78F. Thanks for the advice!

Back