What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water in the pitcher?

Hey guys,
Someone said that it's a good idea to fill up the pitchers about half way with distilled water. I never have heard about this one. Is this alright?
Anyone who can help, i'd be much obliged! Thanks!
~Rachael

I usually fill my newly arrived plants with water about 1/3 the way up... But are you talking about neps or other pitcher plants?

I'm talking about my Alata Nep, and just my other neps..Is that alright?

A recent topic, brought back from the abyss, has been discussing the virtures of filling pitchers with milk and / or egg whites. Check that out in General Discussions.

I have absolutely no idea what you just said jimscott....
smile_l_32.gif

I'm looking it up for you.

Do they have any fluid in them right now? If they do just leave them alone. The fluid in there is special digestive enzymes and diluting them with water will make it harder for the plant to digest it's prey.
^_^

Like the dew that sundews produce, some folks are thinking that it is water or that adding water through misting is helping them.

Welcome to teh forums, Rachael!
smile.gif

I let nature do the work by raining. Some ppl say you can add few drops of milk or egg white or dilute fertilizer (*very* dilute fertilizer), I think that was how the cp reatiler got my nep (dunno what species) to be of such a beautiful colour though.

Maybe if you take away the sundews dew by watering them from overhead they'll start to produce more dew by adaptation (I accidentally found that out by my 'raining' on my sundews...)
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...(I accidentally found that out by my 'raining' on my sundews...)
smile_m_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif
Oh dear! I hope that it is in no way connected with the cicada "rain" that you previously mentioned... Ew.
smile_n_32.gif
laugh.gif

Cicada rain? I thought Cindy mentioned that...
smile_n_32.gif

Not that kind of rain though, I was talking about water and not, uhm, anything else
smile_m_32.gif

Back