What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

water in pitchers?

Hi, I'm geting m first pitcher plant and I was reading the forums to get some info and it mentioned in a couple of places that you have to put water in the pitchers. Is this true? Or was I misunderstanding the posts?

The only pitcher plant that requires you to dump water in the pitchers is Sarracenia purpurea. When pitcher plants arrive by mail, the contents of the pitcher can be dumped out. If so, add some distilled water in the pitcher to prevent the pitcher from drying out.

Thanks a bunch. I think I'm getting a flava. Would I have to do it for them? After the initial cleaning out. Do I have to do the initail claeaning outa t all?

You can leave all the other kinds of pitchers alone, including flava. Every pitcher apart from purpurea secrete their own digestive juices, like venus fly traps.

Back