What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water hycinths over winter?

mabudon

Metal King
My mom has a pond with lilies and water hyacinths in it; it gets pretty cold up here (level with niagara falls) and she doesn't know how to treat them; shoukd they be alright weathering it out, or should we do something else, like keeping them potted in the basement???
Any help would be sweet....

They will die if they get too cold.

I have overwintered them by bringing them inside the house. The trick is getting them enough light during the winter.

I have also heard that people pot them up and treat them as houseplants until it is warm enough put them back outside.

you can grow them in dirt? what about water lettuce? permately?

dude this is gonna be so cool if you can...

Thanks Dave, I was pretty sure that was the case (just hoping that it wasn't, space with light is getting more and more rare)

Nuts....
biggrin.gif
we have lots so I may try the houseplant route as an experiment....

Yes, it will die, as will the lettuce and frog bite. I overwinter a few plants my my aquatics tank. They also will survive in a slurry, but they must be kept alone in that case because the root systems can get extensive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 18 2004,11:50)]you can grow them in dirt? what about water lettuce? permately?
Yes, you can grow the water hyacinths in dirt, but I have had better luck growing them in water under lights. I kept water lettuce alive for a while, but it died a few months before I could put it outside again.

Hi,

I just bought some water hyacinths for an aquarium setup. I have them in a covered 10gal tank filled 1/2 way up. There is a 65W florescent bulb on the cover ("Florex" brand; you get get these at Home Depot, Lowe's, or probably a hardware store). The light warms the water to 75F. The water is a "peat tea" solution and there is decaying plant matter on the bottom.

The hyacinths love it! They are multiplying like mad, and one of them even flowered (they have nice purple flowers). Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any specific info and I'll get back to you.

What fauna is in this tank chloroplast?

There are no fauna, save for two water snails and some daphnia. The tank has been prepared for growing Aldrovanda, which I should be receiving soon.

I just toss them in with the tdb water lilys in a tank in front of a windowsill. Or this year I`m gonna try a sterlite tub(like 50 gal) under lights.:p

I had water hyacint and pistia in my pond for the first time. Because I knew that I wouldnt have space for all of them inside my house because all of my other plants, I put pure peat to a basin, watered it little bit, and planted all those water hyacints and pistias in it:) My neighbor promised that I could use her cellar, and I carried the basin there. It's all dark there, my the temperature is low too:)

Back