What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water gardens

Greetings to the forum.

I'm about ready to start incorperating Sars into by landscaping business. I was at a customer's house today, and he has a cool little pond in the middle of a Spanish style court yard. There are some potted waterlillies, ect.. but I hesitated to recommend a Sarrecenia.

The reason is that I know now that they grow well in our climate, and that they can be in a submerged pot.

It seems though, that I've neglected to ask whether or not they can do well in a pond filled with well water which is on the basic side.

Thanks

Tim

u should recomend it to him . lots of carnivorous plants can be grown water logged especially sarracenia .

I know a guy that uses Srracenia in landscaping, he had the plants right along the pond, now if the pond is in a plastic tub, like a pond thing, poke 4 small holes in the pond at the water line, so only a few seeps into where the sarracenia are. Thats the only thing he recommended, im not really sure about the other ideas
confused.gif
, anyways, good luck,
Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. Like the hosts of this forum, I've got to give good advice to keep going. I'd love to plant them all over, but I need to know whether they can live well in a water Ph of 6 or lower.

Regards
Tim

Tim, the acidic pH will be fine for them ( pH<7 ), but I'm not sure how well they will tolerate the dissolved minerals in the well water.  That would depend on the amount of TDS in the water and whether the water is just replaced as it evaporates (that will increase the TDS over time) or if it is changed (as in a fishtank where you take out a % of the old water and replace it with new water) or if it is continuously replaced (it flows into the pond then to say a garden for irrigation).

Thanks, Steve

There can be no doubt that the overwhelming majority of ponds are filled upon evaporation with basic water. I suppost I will have to experiment on my own, but I hoped that someone here may have accurate information on how they would do.

Another alternative I thought of would be to plant them in the ground, heavily ammending the soil with peat or something else acidic, and to recommend that they water heavily.

There are also those carbon compoud chrystals which indoor plant people use to retain water, I suppose I'll have to try that also.

Regards
Tim

Tim,
odds are the water will be too hard..but you should just go ahead and try it with one plant and see how it does! if one survives through this season, you could add more next year..

I dont think they would do well *totally* submerged..the pots could be placed in the pond with half the pot under water, and the other half above water...or 1/3 under 2/3 above..
but 100% submerged probably wouldnt work..

a PH of 6 is actually good..(btw..PH of 6 is acidic, not basic!
wink.gif
neutral is 7..below 7 is acidic, above 7 is basic)
slightly acidic is the natural conditions for sarrs anyway! peat and spagnum moss bogs are naturally acidic..
so if the water is a PH of 6, thats on the "good" side!

but as others have said..the water hardness (disolved solids) will be the main problem..not the PH..

scot

Are there fish in the pond? If so might there be to much nitrate?
confused.gif
? Pond water that has had fish in it can make great fertilizer but it may be a bit much for the plants

Be careful. A pond is not the same as a bog. I do not believe Sarrs would grow well in the long term.

Thanks all

Sarracenia grow wild here in the bogs. I have not been lucky enough to see on in the wild myself, but I have found pitures of the bogs on the Game and Parks pages. However, The plants reportedly do not grow in the water, just the bog area.

Also, I have decided to collect rain water in large garbage buckets during the rainey season to avoid unwanted chemicals.

If you try one in the pond let us know how it comes out.

Back