What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water filter

• Thread starter Vrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    tap
I know distilled water and rain water work well, I was wondering if tap water that was filtered would work?

Nope, sorry. Water filtered for taste still contains plenty of solids that aren't agreeable with VFTs.

And neither is spring water or tap water boiled. Also acceptable would be RO water and deionized water.

Say Jim, you do sciencey stuff... have you ever seen a stovetop water distiller? I imagine it could work... if you kept an eye on it. I remember making a solar distiller in Boy Scouts for the "stranded in the woods and dying from yellow fever" badge or something... anyways it supposedly cleaned the water just by evaporating it. Aren't there some things that are soluble in water vapor though? That's what I get for trusting the Boy Scouts.
~Joe

Joe, that went beyond me. Sorry. Sounds like you are describing something I have seen on M*A*S*H, in Hawkeye's tent.

We just have a cylinder and a filter that gets replaced when some red light comes on.

I'm still at the lab and my co-worker says you can distill anything if you have a heat source and apparently, ammonia is soluble in water vapor. He knows far more than me. I just prep samples for metals analysis and analyze for Mercury.

Joe,

Yes you can make a tabletop water distiller, all you need is 2 beakers, a heat source, a stand, a condensor, a small network of tubing and a supply of cool running water for the condensor. Of course the cost of all those things, plus the cost to run it would prolly cost you more than buying a cheap RO filter at Home Depot.

As for the evaporative water purifier, yes that also works, but then you need to consider the volume of water you will get from that. Unless you plan on tenting your swimming pool, I doubt you are going to be able to force enough clean water to adequately water a CP collection with that. Best to keep that info for when you are stranded alone on a desert island somewhere. It will provide enough water to keep you alive in an emergency.

Cheers
Steve

I purchased a water filter on Home Shopping Network about a year ago and have been using water from it with no problems
with VFT and other plants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ June 02 2005,4:24)]Of course the cost of all those things, plus the cost to run it would prolly cost you more than buying a cheap RO filter at Home Depot.
*Sigh*
Yeah, I had a feeling the answer would be something like that. :) I guess I'll go look at RO filters some time. Thanks anyhow!
~Joe

Back