What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washington State, waking up...Nature photos~

So, with the warmer weather, and a rather strange day...Rain, sun, rain, sun.....
things are beginning to liven up around here...
As some of you know, Western Washington is known for its temperate rainforests...
we have a small chunk out back, so my gf and i went on a walk through some trails and took some photos. Not the most amazing stuff, but i loved it...lol
So here we start with some photos of some flowers just outside the house before we took out to the trails, which start pretty much immediately behind my house
Camellia bush starting to wake up and bloom like mad.
WashingtonOutdoors001.jpg

Daffodils(common, but pretty none the less), Pierce County is known for its famous Daffodil festival which began back in 1933...since then, has become a tradition here to choose a daffodil princess from one of the schools, a girl from our school won this year
WashingtonOutdoors002.jpg

Hyacinth sp.
various color forms are found all around here, as well as varieties....i love this white flowered one out in the front flower bed
WashingtonOutdoors004.jpg

ok ok now to the actual nature photos...we go through my back fence, and up a small trail...which lead to a clearing, then to more trail paths...we took the one in the photo, went and took a left.
WashingtonOutdoors007.jpg

WashingtonOutdoors008.jpg

Some of the trees, not near as dense as it will be in the coming months, this is one of the more empty areas, mostly trees and some ferns/bushes
WashingtonOutdoors010.jpg

A little further up and we find ourselves in the more dense parts of the forest, this place is very lively during spring, and is only just beginning to wake up...Huckleberry, Oregon Grape, Salal, Raspberries, Blackberries, Easter Lillies, Nettle(eek), ferns, twin leaf, fox glove, etc are very abundant in this area
WashingtonOutdoors011.jpg

And again a little deeper we go, and the landscape changes a little more...
WashingtonOutdoors012.jpg

WashingtonOutdoors013.jpg

Stumbled upon this little guy....Nasty, but interesting...Banana slugs are still a rather mysterious invertebrate....i say he looks like....err.. waste?
WashingtonOutdoors017.jpg

WashingtonOutdoors018.jpg

Autoflash kinda ruined this one
WashingtonOutdoors019.jpg

Stumbled upon a very strange fungus on a log...almost solid, yet....i cant explain it, i didnt want to touch it Hahaha
No idea what species of flowering tree this is...more of a large, scambly shrub...
WashingtonOutdoors021.jpg

WashingtonOutdoors022.jpg

A species of Artist Fungus
WashingtonOutdoors023.jpg

Headed down the trail, going back a bit, we come across a clearing....i use this hill to sled on during winter LOL....there are a pair of nesting bald eagles up there, i havent gone looking for the nest yet...
WashingtonOutdoors024.jpg

Probably my favorite photo of the evening.....this one was headed back, along an opened trail
WashingtonOutdoors025.jpg

Just across the path of the last photo (opposite side) this leads off to some more open areas, this path we are on is often used as deer beds...ive ran across a couple bear here, thankfully far enough away to avoid anything dangerous
WashingtonOutdoors026.jpg

Another one of the unknown flower bushes from above
WashingtonOutdoors027.jpg

and last, my gf found a 4 leaf clover X)
WashingtonOutdoors028.jpg

Ahhhhhh that makes sense *facepalm* should have known that one after having walked these trails many times over the last few years....They do fruit hahaha, completely forgot!
Thanks blade

Your lucky to have that in your back yard, I have a 10 minute rid just to find a patch of woods larger then a mile. Any way my suburbs are waking up too. Very exciting!

Very nice pictures! It reminds me of the little mini forest in our old neighborhood. There were always black berries, salmon berries, flowers, BEES, and other interesting stuff. I actually found a cool little swampy stream in the forest right around my house here. I wish I brought my camera.

Very beautiful SK!

Sweet! Nice to see that spring is coming

Twilight. x3

Looks just like Oregon's Cascades.

Good pics.

Lol Jeff, dont forget the cascades are here in Washington as well ;)
thanks for the comments guys
when things start getting even more lively into summer ill be sure to take some more shots of the area....

Moo: Actually, i believe Twilight was filmed up in Forks washington, coastal temperate rainforest is quite a bit different than the inland stuff....

Neat-o. It's very serene. It's the kind of place I could just sit there for hours. I'm jealous. :p The ferns are very nice. Thanks for sharing. :D

OH, Forks, that was it. Again, very nice pics.

I though Twilight was filmed in canada...

No problem Cap.
i will be going around to other parts later in the season and take more photos

I suspect the fungus is a slime mold. Cool pics.

I'm surprised there aren't any flowers on the indian plum in those forest shots. Pierce County must be colder than Thurston. Are you guys on the prairie at all? Nice pics, as always.
~Joe

Back