What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warm White Florescent?

Hey, if blue is cool why 18,000°K is bad?, i change mines each 2 years and blue ones each 8 months, XDDDD

Not sure if this helps anybody, but I have noticed a difference in my plants regaurding different bulbs. I have them under two sets of 4' flourescent fixtures. One fixture has a cool white and a grow light bulb. The plants under this set of lights don't seem to recognize a difference between the bulbs. If anything they color up slightly better under the grow bulb. My second fixture holds two grow bulbs. One is just a few months old and has green ends. The other is 2-3 years old and visibly more red. Now as I said both are designed for plants, but all the plants under this fixture prefer the older bulb (Pinguicula, for example, send their flower stalks in that direction). To me age of bulb doesn't matter as long as the plants will grow, but color temperature seems to be very important.

Peter

Ummm, i tink older bulbs lost blue, so they flower cuz red is in old bulbs, very interesting... thanks rubra, hay i got a question what pings you grow in terrarium ?

okay! I just bought a six pack of compact flourescent soft white bulbs!

they are 26 watt and put out 1700 lumens. How many of these should i use for my 10 gal tank. Keep in mind that i have reflective lining on the outside of my tank and leave the light on for 12 hours, 13 or 14 sometimes when i am not at my house when i need to turn it off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]thanks rubra, hay i got a question what pings you grow in terrarium ?

I actually have all my pings in trays right under the lights. They don't need much humidity (except for cuttings) and they benefit from being close to the lights. I grow include P. gigantea, moranensis, elherisae, sp. from Vera Cruz, plus various hybrids.

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Helldragon4356 @ Feb. 27 2006,9:36)]okay! I just bought a six pack of compact flourescent soft white bulbs!

they are 26 watt and put out 1700 lumens. How many of these should i use for my 10 gal tank. Keep in mind that i have reflective lining on  the outside of my tank and leave the light on for 12 hours, 13 or 14 sometimes when i am not at my house when i need to turn it off.
Use two, three at the most. The trick is getting enough light over your tank without heating it up too much.

Back