What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virus

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date
Nice find Trashcan, but still, look at the chart on the page. Does virtually nothing, easy to remove, 0-49 computers infected... Although technically a virus, more of a nuisance. Lauderdale, congrats on getting your computer back to normal, you wouldn't believe how many hours I've sobbed at school as I watched the counter go up on adaware, I've run out space to make notches for all of the spyware I've killed. The real fun stuff was when I couldn't use Adaware -registry time!. Which brings me to another unpleasent point of windows, after a few years of use, your system files get bogged down, ie, the registry, autoexec, etc. Makes life nasty... Oh, an idea, Lauderdale, you may also consider getting "Hijack this" (just use google to find a free download). Although this one is considerably more advanced, so before you do anything, you'll want to make a backup log (you can do this from within the program), you can delete the obvious stuff yourself, and if you know anyone slightly tech savvy, they can take care of the rest. Good luck.
smile.gif

Est, I'm assuming you do this for a living or at least often. I do not tinker with comp.'s anymore the stress gets out of hand sometimes. Too much for me to enjoy the peaceful relaxing things. I just don't go to odd sites and no opening mail that isn't from someone I know and even then sometimes friends pass "things" that they don't know of. Oh well, such is the internet.

Joe

Hmmm, just a thought, but maybe we should make a new topic with a different name to more accuratley describe what's being discussed? I'm sure more people would be attracted to a board that is talking about helping them... Anyone agree?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ].... I do not tinker with comp.'s anymore the stress gets out of hand sometimes...
You should see me around a hardware problem!
mad.gif
Roar!
biggrin.gif
I know what you mean about the stress, so what I do is more to try to help other people enjoy their computer experience more, and keep machines running healthy, nothing too fancy.
smile.gif
And I pray to God that I'll never need to work on another wireless network in my life (unless the whole situation improves).
laugh.gif

Is anybody familiar with Spyblocks 2.0? It shows up on my pc, at the top of the page, once a day, advertizing that it removes Spyware. Is it legit or just another bad advertizement?

"Spyblocks 2.0": Well, this isn't a very widely used program, don't know much about it, so if I were you I'd just stick to Adaware or Spybot S&D. I'm more concerned about what you said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...It shows up on my pc, at the top of the page, once a day..."
. What exactly do you mean by this, does it show up as a regular ad on only a certain page, or is it adware itself? Easy soultion, download Adaware (if you don't already have it), run it, and see what pops up. Please, let me know if it does (or doesn't) end up being adware.

Yes, I'm aware that it wasn't a big issue, and I wasn't claiming it was. Just correcting this statement:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Actually, that's incorrect, there are no viruses, or spyware on Linux.

Check out this (slightly dated) article: http://www.vnunet.com/News/1127347
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Clarke added that it seems ridiculous that users have any doubt about Linux being be attacked. "It's not a target at the moment because the market isn't there, but Li0n and Ramen have already proved that it's on the menu," he explained.

http://www.cxotoday.com/cxo....yid=921
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Clarifying a common misconception that Linux is not vulnerable to virus attacks, Kaushik explained, “There are quite a few Linux viruses floating around in networks today. As a caution, we have included 600 signatures in the VirusWall for viruses that target Linux, and it is really surprising to know that more than 50 % of these viruses have been intercepted in the last 12 months. This clearly points to the increase in Linux virus attacks, although Microsoft still remains a hot favorite for virus coders.”

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004/0503/feat-linux3-05-03-04.asp
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Virus writers will target Linux when the system gains a high enough profile, Witteveen said. But even now, there are some vicious Linux viruses out in the wilds of cyberspace. "Some of them are even worse than Windows viruses," he said.

The most damaging Linux virus so far, the Slapper worm, infected 20,000 systems in 100 countries in late 2002, DiDio said.

I don't agree that it's ridiculous to think that, but I do disagree that Linux does not and cannot have viruses, worms, or spyware.

I also agree 100% that user education is the best way go about fixing the problem (I'm pretty sure you said that earlier in the thread...) .

Also, one more link (only because I thought the Ramen reference was funny): http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1123827.stm

Ramen is yummy, eating hackers is too.  I will not try to deny that it's possible to make a virus or write malicous code that can affect Linux,  but I really don't believe that Linux will ever be as big of a target as Windows.  Ok, after much revision, I've trimmed this down (maybe).  I think (I'm no expert) that it's not a safe assumption to make that if Linux were as popular as Windows, then it would have just as many faults (on all levels).  Isn't it logical to think that if someone was really trying to raise a lot of ####, that instead of going for numbers, they'd go for the "savvy"?  It's one thing for them to have to go out and fix other computers, but if their computer got screwed with, well...  Furthermore, Windows is such a popular target because it is easy to crack, there are SO many exploits, there are many cases where a virus was written not to piss people off, but to discredit Windows.  For example, if Windows wasn't so easy to break in to, we wouldn't have so many script kiddies, would we?
Bottom line, Window's vulnerabilities makes it a prime target for attack.  If Linux was equally as popular as Windows is now, more attacks would directed towards Windows, for so many numbers of reasons, especially motive...
Well, I can't remember what I've written anymore (It's HOT, and having dinner in the middle of a post doesn't help), so I hope I haven't gone full circle too many times.   One last thing, to relate to the original topic, guess who just got caught.
smile.gif

Hey Est,

I'm not trying to argue which is more likely to be infected with a worm or virus, just disputing the original misleading quote. (first quote of my last message). If you'd like I can respond to your individual points, but I don't really think they are relevant (to what I was arguing..). If you'd like you can email me if you want to discuss this more..

Well, I do have a few minutes so, I will respond.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I think (I'm no expert) that it's not a safe assumption to make that if Linux were as popular as Windows, then it would have just as many faults (on all levels).
I don't think anyone quoted was saying that, they said it will become more popular as a target.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Isn't it logical to think that if someone was really trying to raise a lot of ####, that instead of going for numbers, they'd go for the "savvy"
No, I don't think it is logical at all. Many virus writers appear to have commercial interests (ie spam drones), and my impression is that they want to spread as far as possible for fame or whatever. If they didn't want their virus to spread, they wouldn't have written it. I don't think they want to make a few people upset, I think they want their virus/worm to spread as far as possible, and further whatever their goals are.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Furthermore, Windows is such a popular target because it is easy to crack, there are SO many exploits, there are many cases where a virus was written not to piss people off, but to discredit Windows.
Don't you think the fact that is is on an estimated 90% of desktops has also something to do with the prevalance of viruses and worms designed for Windows? BeOS had an even worse security model than Windows, and it wasn't a big virus or worm target, either. One thing to note, is that Windows actually has a much more finer grained security model than the standard Unix permissions system. Read up on ACLs if you'd like to learn more. These have been around since the inception of NT (http://world.std.com/~jimf/papers/nt-security)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For example, if Windows wasn't so easy to break in to, we wouldn't have so many script kiddies, would we?
Ok, this question is almost too silly to address. Would we still have stupid people doing stupid things if Windows did not have as many security problems you suppose it does? I would say yes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Furthermore, Windows is such a popular target because it is easy to crack, there are SO many exploits, there are many cases where a virus was written not to piss people off, but to discredit Windows.
You are stating your assumptions as facts. On a side note, how is it easy to crack? Do you mean that it is easy because problems are discovered frequently? Or because there are current vulnerabilties that you can exploit now? Read up, every operating system has them: http://linuxsecurity.com/ . My opinion on why Windows has many security problems is that because most users run as an Administrator instead of as a limited user account. Many Windows applications function poorly in a mulit-user environment (ie without admin privs), which further discourages users. This, combined, with Windows' popularity and near-ridiculous cross-compatability is what makes it such an attractive target. Fortunately, there are all things that can (and I believe will) change in the future. Check out the XP SP2 RC to see some of the interesting changes in security, designed to make it easier for the average user.

Anyway, we're probably boring other people in the forums (not to mention further re-inforcing my geeky image), so feel free to email if you want to say more. public at brokenwatch.net

See ya
Pat

I think that (I know this is a generalization) alot of the people creating malicious whatevers are tending to lean toward an outcasted antisocial feeling. With this said Microsoft is the opitomy of corporate structure that is easily attacked by the common man (or woman). They don't really care that it is actually affecting innocent people. I beleive it was already said that they are trying to make a fool of Microsoft. Furthermore many of these types of characters are Linux users themselves and many more are young and inexperienced. This all leads up to writing on VB, Perl,etc... and not worrying about contracting it yourself but rather give and forget about it (so to speak).
Basically it is easier for these inexperienced users to drop a system and not wonder "Will some dummy send it back to me on accident". Just my thoughts.

Joe

Hey, I like this discussion! Don't go away. I'm not bored. It has been helpful. All of need to be educated about our pc's. The Spy Block 2.0 advertizement appears every day, once a day, residing on  top of my MSN homepage. I have to scroll down to get to the real homepage. After navigating away, it doesn't show up again for the duration of the day. I just installed Ad-Aware (not to be confused with Adware - the nasty stuff) and ran a scan. It quaranteened 253 items. I also did NOT see the Spy Block 2.0 advertizement this morning. Hmmm, I think Ad - Aware beat up on the Spy block 2.0 ad - as well as a few other things. Keep posting!

Trashcan, I didn't intend for this to turn in to an argument, so I am disappointed if you have hard feelings.  I hope(d) that people can tell what of my writing is opinion and fact.  Furthermore, I am saddened that we can't discuss this in person, typing muddles my thinking even more than it usually is (which is still pretty bad).  I would like to adress the ignorance that shows up in some of my posts, a) I have these discussions so I can learn, b) my last post shouldn't have been posted at that time, i.e. before further revision could be made, bad choice on my part, and c) we appear to have been looking at this from two different viewpoints, your's: hard fact backed by links, and mine: speculation as I am trying to learn, expecting to be incorrect and statements based on my own experience (why are there 10 new lines in system.ini? WHY are my mouse drivers corrupted now?! Etc.).  So, not to end this conversation on a bitter note, or one that makes me look more stupid than I have to, I'll leave you with a link.

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/188
-I guess we're not the only ones ever to have had this very discussion.  
Ok well, enough of that.  

Jim, I'm glad that you managed to get rid of that Spyblock ad.  I suppose if anyone has any questions I'll continue to post, but unless someone wants to meet it person, I'm done arguing.

Back