What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virginia, the state of

My wife just got offered a post-doc in Virginia Beach, VA. Looks like we'll be moving there in Feb or March. Anyone familiar with the area? What's it like? Any good CP spots within a day's drive? I know there's supposedly a few S. flava spots in S. Virginia. I'd love to see some uprights, since all I've ever seen in the wild is S. purp in Wisc.

Virginia pitcherplant website

Hey Sar,
Check out this website! I was down there last year in Feb for a wedding (Fredricksburg). Nice place. I may be going to visit my buddy next year (have to recycle the vacation days), and I definately want to check out the preserve.

Hi Sarracenia

Let me be the first to say...Welcome to Virginia! (Even though you aren't here yet).
smile.gif

I live in Richmond which is in central Virginia. But Virginia Beach isn't that far away...about 90 minute drive (less if you drive reaaally fast).
smile.gif

I can't tell you anything specifically about Virginia Beach (I was there once as a baby but don't remember it). Its in an area where three cities kinda blend together...VA Beach, Norfolk and Hampton. There is a lot of military there, Langely Air Force Base and the famous Norfolk shipyards. Travel west on I-64 and you'll get to many historic areas...Yorktown, Jamestown, Williamsburg. Busch Gardens theme park is in Williamsburg too. And Colonial Downs race track is in New Kent county which-- I finally got there this past summer--a wonderful place if you like betting or HORSES or both. (I go for the horses but I have picked a couple of winners).

Virginia has seasons...beautiful springs, hot and humid summers, colorful falls and...winters...well, I could use more snow but winters aren't too bad generally. You have beach to the east and the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains and Shenandoah Valley to the west. What more do you need?? lol

OK...have I sold you on Virginia yet?
smile.gif

Let me know if there is any information I can get for you.

Suzanne

Back