What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vfts and humidity

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a terranium and I was wondering if to much humidity was bad for venus fly traps as I wish to place them in the terranium with my tropical pitcher plants.

thanks

I dont think there is such a thing as too much humidity for VFTs. They are pretty hardy plants and can take quite a bit of shift in humidity. Mine grow outside where the humidity regularly dips into the 20% range during the day and high 80% range at night. I believe more of a problem will be in lighting. VFTs need at least 8 hours of direct sun, and if I'm not mistaken, I believe most neps dont want that much light. (Some of the Nep experts please clarify that for me?) Also be aware of the VFT dormancy requierment. They need a temperature drop and shortened photoperiod which also might be detrimental to your Nep. If you put your VFT in with your Nep, then your best bet would be to leave it in a seperate pot that can be easily removed to minimize stress on both plants when the growing requirements clash.

Good luck
Steve

Actually, the higher the humidity, the better! As long as there is air circulation and plenty of light, high humidity is ok. With high humidity and good sun, the plat often developes longer spines and plenty of necter.
smile.gif

Just remember to lower the water table for higher humidity and you should be fine
smile.gif

I have my plants out on my front porch which is NOT very humid. They are doing great in their own way, and my vft in my terrerium is doing great in its own way. So I guess it really kinda depends on what you want your plant to do. Just my 2 cents

Wes
wow.gif

It's best to be more humid. Even though it can tolerate dry climate.

My front porch is'nt really dry, just not overly humid. I've got them in trays and the water in the trays is helping the air around them to be a little more humid.

I grow mine outside on my porch rail.  The humidity is like vft guy's, 20% or lower during the day and 80% or so at night.  As far as I can tell humidity or the lack of it is not a problem as long as the plants roots have a constant source of water and aren't allowed to get too hot (above 90ºF I believe someone said) in direct sun.

alien.gif

I have VFT's on deck rail outside and when it was like 3% humidity out i placed them in a tray of rain water and they perked up .. I left them in it and they are doing quite fine now.
In a glass bowel ( those round ones with a circle on top) they heated to much and my babies didn't like the heatup to much..
Becareful in the sun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEAT KILLS

Just my two cents ( Smile)

I live in South Carolina where, according to the weather channel's website, the humidity is at 100% most of the day. Should I still leave my baby with a tray of water? I have it on the railing on my porch so the full sun doesn't hit it all day long. So far, so good! (I just got it from this site a few days ago). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Yes do have a tray of water(not for humidity
tounge.gif
). Keep the level in the tray low though,1cm is good. Let it dry out before refilling.

Back