What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFTs after dormancy

I know this is an old thread and I dont mean to Bump it since its pretty done and over already,

but ISU shoot me a PM if you'd like to know how I went about doing my vft's indoors all year round with no outside priming for dormancy, and so far I've managed for 2 winteres now to never lose a vft while in dormancy, and I used a minifridge for mine.

the real key though is if your going to do a fridge dormancy you have to air yourself on the drier side, fridges are really stagnant and its easy to lose it to rot.

its definitely doable to grow vft's inside all year round where its impossible to grow outside.

yes outside is ideal, but sometimes you gotta try some expirementation, and i've managed to have happy vft's with my approach both inside and outside

just shoot me a PM
Thanks,
Chris-

Does anyone have any pictures of what their flytraps looked like after they came out of dormancy? I pulled mine out of the fridge yesterday and they don't look like they were doing so hot.

I am not quite sure why refrigeration is so popular with Dionaea outside of the tropics. I usually leave my plants in their pots and place them in a cool spot -- a garage -- throughout the winter . . .

its certainly not ideal. this winter I was able to use a cold basement. but fridges can be done if you really really have no other option...

I am not quite sure why refrigeration is so popular with Dionaea outside of the tropics. I usually leave my plants in their pots and place them in a cool spot -- a garage -- throughout the winter . . .

many people dont have a "cool spot"..
I used the fridge for 10 years..because I had no garage, or basement, or unheated room..
living in a one bedroom apartment, options were limited..

the fridge works fine if its your only option.

Scot

Back