What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Quiz!!!!!! (Pm me your answers)

kath

Katherine
This is a VFT QUIZ!!!! To see how much you really know about your VFT's!

To avoid the answers being given away please private message me your answers only

The winners will be announced under the original post, when the contest ends, along with a reply telling you all that the contests over! The winner will be 'crowned' the know-it-all of VFT's!

There will be some very hard questions, to prevent people lookign up ALL of the answers, just as a safety precaution, but really I don't mind if you research the answers, because A) it will be increasing your VFT knowledge and B) everyone's got to learn somewhere, so if you don't already know you may as well learn it now!

There will be quizzes in some of the other carnivorous plant message boards too, but only the types I know enough about, so only the 'commons'.

Anyway-have fun!

THE QUIZ

What is the scientific name for the Venus Fly Trap, and how would you go about
pronouncing it?

The current theory (not nessecarily right) states that Venus Fly Traps may have evolved from what other commonly seen carnivorous plant?

It is a good idea to close the traps on a Venus Fly Trap with a pencil=true/false?

Each trap on a Venus Fly Trap can only close approximately 7 times before it will lose it's closing function. Why is this?

Do Venus Fly Traps reproduce by flowering, leaf cuttings, or offsets?

Can Venus Fly Traps tolerate nutrient filled soil?

What conditions would you prescribe for a Venus Fly Trap, regarding soil, pot, water, humidity, light, temperature and why? ( The more detailed the better)

When will the inside of a Venus Fly Trap trap turn bright red?

Multichoice:
A) Venus Fly Traps never use photosynthesis.
B) Venus Fly Traps are not actually insectivorous.
C) Venus Fly Traps use photosynthesis like a normal plant but gather nutrients from insects.
D) Venus Fly Traps use photosynthesis but survive mostly off insects.

The trigger hairs inside the trap of a Venus Fly Trap must be continually triggered for the trap to shut. Averagely it will take two touches on the trigger hairs to shut the trap, so long as the touches are less than 25 seconds apart. Approximately how many single touches are needed if the touches are 20 minutes apart?

Ok. Hope you know some answers! Good Luck!

AHHH!!! I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWERS! :-(

erased

she said she would post thwe answers...dont ruin it for people who havent seen the thread yet.

Alex

THE ANSWERS:

1. Dionaea Muscipula
Die-oh-nie-a Mus-sip-you-lah

2.Drosera

3.False!!!!!

4.In order to close the cells in the Venus fly traps trap wall must stretch. After a while the cells can stretch no further.

5.All of them and more

6.Yes, but only for a very short time.

7. Wet soil, bright, full light, warm temperatures except in winter, high humidity, good air circulation, sphagnum or peat with vermiculite, perlite etc.

8. In Venus fly traps that are not of the all-green type it will turn red in the prsence of bright, warm light.

9.c

10. 14 times

THE WINNER WAS: jimscott with 9/10 answers correct
SECOND PLACE: jm82792 with 8/10 answers correct

Do we win anything? Cheesecake? Petiolaris seeds? Atta boys?

Chesse cake :D Petiolaris seed or maybe some Nubuan X Toggenburg goats :D

Well I live in New Zealand, so I can't really send you anything...umm...I'll think of something!

nz sphagnum moss xD

Back