What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft progress pics

Thought I'd throw some pics out since the growing season is slowing down
smile_h_32.gif
but I'm excited and very pleased with how my first attempt at CPS went this summer, especially with my VFTs. Here's some progress on my 'big mouth' plants. I thought after I planted them they were goners as the leaves died back due to shipping shock. I keep them outside in full sunlight for a minimum of 8 hours and in a tray with about 3/4" of distilled water and they're doing great. I'm still preparing myself to put my plants into their first winter here in Buffalo.

Here's what they looked like when I first got them in early July. You can see the green isn't all that great looking... I'm sure they looked awesome when they left the nursery. Plus the traps are on their side and the petioles are curved back. Dang shipping shock.

flytraps003.jpg

Here's what they looked like about a month after the first pic. You can see a lot of the old traps have died off or just look ugly and new growth is apparent from the middle of the plant. Even a new trap opened up at this point and facing upward.

Picture013.jpg

Here's the plants as of 2 weeks ago. Being in the sun has given them great color and a lot of new traps are coming in measuring close to 3/4"... not huge but it's still a young plant.

cps2.jpg

cps010.jpg

For kicks I included what my typicals (purchased from this site) looked like before and what they look like now thanks to the tips from folks here. Some traps have already reached close to 1.5"! It paid off to heed a lot of the advice from the pros. -done brown nosing-

Before...

flytraps009.jpg

After...

cps1.jpg

cps3.jpg

OK, you can officially grow vfts now! Nice job!

Capslock

Your kids turned out to be RATHER IMPRESSIVE!!!
JOB WELL DONE!!!

Excellent VFTs! How long have you been growing those typicals?

Not counting the numerous VFTs I killed as a kid, I've been growing since mid-June.

Back