What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vft outside

I have all my dormant plants outside right now. I just wondered, since my red dragon is a hybrid, is it going to do as the other vfts and go into dormancy, or is it too cold for it? It is about 40 with a nasty wind chill in n. va.

Yes, red dragons are like the other vfts and do go dormant. What zone are you in? I live in zone 5 and i'm going to leave mine outside all winter in my in the ground bog with mulching to protect them. I know some others who dig a hole in the ground the height of the plant's pot and then put the pot in the hole. Then they cut the dead leaves off the plant and cover it with straw, pine needles or tree leaves. Hope this helps.

-buckeye

I am just south of the mason dixon line by about forty miles. I just don't want to lose any plants. I don't know what zone I am considered...

You are in Zone 7.
smile.gif

Red Dragons seem to be weaker then other varieties. I would make sure it isn't too wet over the winter if you can.

Back