What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft lights

If I use fluorescent 48 inch GE Plant and Aquarium lights in their normal fixture (2 lights per fixture) and position them say 6 inches above my venus fly traps will that provide sufficent light to get them to grow well and display full colors??  I would keep the plants directly under the light and not spread them out beyong that area (adding more lights as needed).
The lights are 1900 lumens/40 watts.

Try placing the lights about 2-3inches above the plants. That will allow for better coloration.
dewy

You can save yourself a LOT of money if you buy just simple cool white bulbs. I have used both types and found that the expensive Plant/Aquarium bulbs dont make any difference in plant growth. The only difference is the dent they put in your wallet.

Good luck
Steve

I saw a GE "daylight" bulb (f40sp65) has 3050 lumens and costs just a dollar or two more then the Plant and Aquirium" light.  Is it worth it for the extra lumens??  And then they have also a "Sunshine" bulb at 2250 lumens (f40c50).
Too many choices.....

I'm thinking of paying the extra to get the daylight bulbs due to the higher lumens and I assume the light produced is closer to sunlight.  

But are you thinking it won't make and difference compared to cheap cool white bulbs??

This issue has been debated over and over and over again. For a real headache about artificial lights go check out the Greenhouse/terrarium section of the forum. If that doesnt turn your brain to mush nothing will.. lol

My personal experience has been that the plain cheap cool white bulbs perform at least as well as the more expensive specialty bulbs. The expensive ones will grow your plants just fine, I never had a problem with too little lighting while I used them. The cost factor makes cool whites my preference as I have not noticed any less growth since switching over.

Steve

I ultimately went with two GE "Sunshine 40" 48 inch fluorescent bulbs. They are rated at 2250 lumens, color temp of 5000K and cri of 90. They are mentioned in the lighting section of the Terrarium section as good bulbs.

Cost a couple bucks more but seems most like the sun.
Hope I picked correctly....

Back