What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Leaf Pullings

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Picture113.jpg

Picture166.jpg

Picture167.jpg

sorry i'm having difficulty seeing the cutting in the 3rd picture
gratz that the leafpulling works
never seems to work for me

same here.. I've tried to do leaf pullings for 8 months now.. not a single one struck. Trying in a ziplock bag now with lfs and very wet conditions in a bright south facing window but no direct sunlight as it will boil them...

What are my odds?

same here.. I've tried to do leaf pullings for 8 months now.. not a single one struck. Trying in a ziplock bag now with lfs and very wet conditions in a bright south facing window but no direct sunlight as it will boil them...

What are my odds?

I've done the zip-lock bag / live sphagnum technique with some reasonable success -- around eighty percent. The most important thing to do with Dionaea leaf-pulls is to ensure that a bit of the whitish rhizome (or corm) tissue is included, that they are kept at about room Tb, in bright but indirect light, and not saturated. The only time a leaf pulls have failed was when I didn't manage to collect enough rhizome.

Occasionally, I've have also used Rootone (which has a fungicide) and / or Clonex to encourage root formation but the plants seem to do that readily on their own.

Good luck . . .

What are my odds?

once, i put it on a windowsill.....it didnt work... i came back and the bag was steaming. all the couple of live bit i put in there to get it started all died.

I struck before by having it in a ziplock in my terrarium (I left the baggie open a bit to let it have come circulation). I kept it very moist, but not completely wet and only used a peat/perlite mix. After The first leaf was forming, I took off the baggie. The first leaf would´ve formed and the plantet live, but I killed it with Superthrive. :blush:

Nice strikes btw :)

Admittedly, that one pic isn't obvious... but it's there. Leaf pull seem to work best when the basal part is intact and that is nestled in live LFS, under artificial lighting. Maybe being outside would be better.

I struck before by having it in a ziplock in my terrarium (I left the baggie open a bit to let it have come circulation). I kept it very moist, but not completely wet and only used a peat/perlite mix. After The first leaf was forming, I took off the baggie. The first leaf would´ve formed and the plantet live, but I killed it with Superthrive. :blush:

Nice strikes btw :)

i just figured out i killed my first drosera/sarracenia/vft with superthrive too...
and yesterday as i was repotting my vft and seperating the one that isnt flowering(i left the flowering ones alone) . i found 2 leafpulling that struck... but i dont know where i left it, i was planning on potting it up after i take it off, i forgot where i left it... :-( there was abit of strong wind so i think it blew somewhere. these are leaves that were black, but when i pulled and it had the white rhizome thing on the bottom.

my attempt to grow live sphagnum never works.

I'm going to be posting pictures sometime soon in the next week of my recent VFT leaf pulling success... around 80% I think....

Personally I kept mine very saturated... I dont believe this is really the way to go about it in the long run... as I think thats why my strike rate was only 80%... but however I just used a white bowl with LFSM, dismantled a smaller vft that was on the decline due to an old potting mixture and made sure I took off all traps, and that each leaf had its good portion of rhizome... and I waited. I took my pullings on June 2. ( I marked the container ) and they are just now to a size really worth repotting...

I also got the bonus with some real LFSM regrowth which is the first time I've got actual sizeable growth...

anyways, I'll post some photo's soon...

Here's a shot to show the "missing' vft.

Untitled-1.jpg

Also, the photos above are hosted on photobucket. I would suggest they be resized to 640X480 (like this photo) so they fit on ou screens and no "side schrolling" is needed.

Yup, that's where Waldo is! I thought Photobucket automatically resized them.

Here's a shot to show the "missing' vft.

Untitled-1.jpg

Also, the photos above are hosted on photobucket. I would suggest they be resized to 640X480 (like this photo) so they fit on ou screens and no "side schrolling" is needed.

hmm? dont tell me your screen is 800x600... i rarely see people with 800x600 screen anymore.
it almost fits my screen perfectly.. almost... too small

I've done the zip-lock bag / live sphagnum technique with some reasonable success -- around eighty percent. The most important thing to do with Dionaea leaf-pulls is to ensure that a bit of the whitish rhizome (or corm) tissue is included, that they are kept at about room Tb, in bright but indirect light, and not saturated. The only time a leaf pulls have failed was when I didn't manage to collect enough rhizome.

Occasionally, I've have also used Rootone (which has a fungicide) and / or Clonex to encourage root formation but the plants seem to do that readily on their own.

Good luck . . .
I made sure to pull downward and get as much of the rhizome off as possible. I'll try with artificial lighting next.

Any success with 100% submerged in water cuttings? Also any success in striking using peat only?

I made sure to pull downward and get as much of the rhizome off as possible. I'll try with artificial lighting next.

Any success with 100% submerged in water cuttings? Also any success in striking using peat only?

I have also used a compost of milled sphagnum, which has the texture of a fine peat (and prevents damping-off in seeds), and horticultural sand in a 2:1 ratio -- when establishing Dionaea leaf-pulls in individual pots. Sphagnum peat on its own retains far too much moisture (in my opinion) and encourages rot.

I have never attempted to root the VFT leaves directly in water; Nepenthes cuttings are a surer bet with that method . . .

I have also used a compost of milled sphagnum, which has the texture of a fine peat (and prevents damping-off in seeds), and horticultural sand in a 2:1 ratio -- when establishing Dionaea leaf-pulls simply in small pots. Sphagnum peat on its own retains far too much moisture in my opinion and invites rot.

I have never attempted to root the VFT leaves directly in water; Nepenthes cuttings are a surer bet with that method . . .

you can root neps in pure water?

Jim - Photobucket does automatically resize the photos. Automatically it sizes them down to 800x600. There's options for both larger and smaller file sizes though. I use the 800x600 for all of mine.

Crystal

I have been doing Nep cuttings in water and that hasn't failed yet (5x). I don't use rooting hormone either.

Should I resize the pics to 600 x 480?

Waterlogged live LFS, under good lighting seems to work well with live LFS.

Nah, I personally wouldn't Jim. The bigger the pics the better in my opinion :). Most everyone has monitors with high enough resolutions and broadband Internet so it's not a problem.

Crystal

Back