What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT hybrids

If anybody decides to cross their VFT cultivars, I would be extremely interested in obtaining seed from those hybrids. If you have any extra this spring, please remember this post and PM me for trading offers.

Thanks!

SF

bump...
smile.gif

Gentle reminder that I'm still on the lookout for any VFT seeds!

AFAIK, cultivars do NOT produce viable seed for that specific cross. The seeds turn out to be typical VFT's thus proved. Cultivars can only be vegatatively propagated at the moment.

Correct, but after enough crosses are made, the characteristics may resurface. I know 90% of the seedlings will be regular VFTs, but its those 10% with special traits that I'm after.

SF

I wish you luck in your search for seeds of cultivars. I may attempt some of this later in my life in this hobby, but for now I'm sticking to retail plants and leaf cuttings. ;)

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>SnowyFalcon,

The subject of this thread is misleading, to say the least. Plants belonging to a monotypic genus, such as Dionaea can never actually produce "hybrids" unless at some point they are found to be genetically compatible with some other genus, or another species of Dionaea is discovered and they are genetically compatible.

Seed produced by cross-pollinating different cultivars or clones can only produce seed of VFTs, not hybrids. And, as has already been mentioned, so far, cultivars of VFT are not reproducible by seed. However, with appropriate protocol (procedures not yet defined for VFT) this may someday be possible. Perhaps with enough in-breeding, selection and self-pollination of select clones it may eventually be possible to reproduce cultivars of VFT from seed. Seems like it would require a great deal of work to accomplish this. Good luck.</span>

Thanks PinguiculaMan. I realize that it's a monotypic genus, but didn't know how to word it better than "VFT hybrid".
smile.gif

SF

Yah, the title threw me too. Maybe next time "VFT mixed varients"

... as to seed, none yet, but I'm going to try and swap pollen with people if I can. My flower forming plant is a 'typical', but not because the entire trap, inside and out is all red when it's in strong light. I call it my red head ;) My other VFT are coming out of dormency late, so they won't be able to cross with it and since they almost died this winter from a cooling failier, I'm not going to let them flower anyhow, so I'll only have crossed seed if I fined someone to traid pollen with. Sorry.

Back