What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft clump size

I have been wondering for some time if there is a maximum size for a clump of a single clone of VFT. I have grown the same clone of VFT since I purchased it in 1955, so I know these plants can live a long time. However, every year or so, I repot the plant and the growth points tend to naturally divide into individual plants. But, what would happen in the natural environment if the plant was not divided and allowed to grow in situ for many years. Would the clump become progressively larger with hundreds or more growth points? Would there be a limit to the clump size? If an animal (possum, gopher, bear) occasionally dug-up the clump, the individual plants could become scattered and in any given field there could be a number of genetically identical plants or clumps. But, if not disturbed, what would a 50-year-old plant look like? Has anyone observed huge clumps?

I think if you look at how they grow, if you have two growth points, the plant can naturally divide by itself. Each new leaf that comes up on the outside of the plant would appear slightly farther away from the center. The center may die down after a couple years and the plant becomes two plants. I believe I read somewhere that a guy noticed that his plant slowly walked away from the center of the pot where it was planted due to this.

It may happen so slowly (over years) that you don't notice it tho.

Considering you have been growing them for numerous years, I would assume whatever is the largest clump you've seen is close to the upper limits.

hey bob! guess what? i'm growing your 50 year old clone that i got from Tuyen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jhaluska @ June 22 2005,4:11)]Considering you have been growing them for numerous years, I would assume whatever is the largest clump you've seen is close to the upper limits.
Unfortunately, that is just my problem. I have been growing the plant in pots and repot them every couple of years, so they never get the chance to grow an enormous clump or even to "walk away from the center".

If "walk away" is the process this would eventually result in separated plants. Then, in any given field over time, there would be a lot of genetically identical clones appearing as individual plants. This certainly happens with aspen trees (Populus tremuloides), where an entire hillside is one gigantic clone.

Back