What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft....clay...pot...i'm an idiot!

Weeeellllll yesterday I put some seeds in a pot with soil aaaand the pot was clay and not glazed and I just realized how stupid that was. They are green dragon VFT seeds too. Will they germinate? Will they die AFTER they germinate? I have them in two pots and I really don't want to lose these seeds. Anything I can do? Like...wait for the soil to clump together and pick it up in one piece and repot it? Or will it be OK? No deadly salts released or anything? Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think they do the most harm over time. The minerals build up over a certain period of time and can do damage. But I don't believe that a couple of months would really hurt anything.

I think it would be pretty tough to transfer the dirt without losing any seeds. I would think that once they germinated and established themselves a little bit you could take the whole clump of dirt and try and move the whole thing at once without disturbing the plantlets. Good luck!

Thanks, I hope they germinate and I can move them easily without any damgage. I guess I'll just have to wait. Thanks again.

Your seeds should be fine for a while. It's not the clay pot that causes the damage. It's the minerals they can build up over time. Just make sure you're watering with rain, distilled or R/O water. Wait until your new VFTs are big enough to repot and then move them. Good luck!

Back