What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft care in _central texas_

Howdy!

I recently came across a number of these VFTs over Easter as a present from my girlfirend
smile.gif
, and since getting them have moved them outside.

I've tried to get informatin from a number of websites and people and decided to grow them outside.

Well I first repotted them into a 6 inch pot of sphagnum moss (i threw a little bit of pertlite in there too, _little_), and put them in a a tray of water about 2 inches deep.

I had them placed in sunlight for 2 days until i noticed severe sunburn (yellowing of leaves and some of them turning crispy on the edges) and have since placed them under an east facing patio.

I also placed them (pots, water trays and all) into a 10 gallon terarium that I had been using to _try_ to revive/grow sphagnum moss in. I was hoping this might help keep the humidty up temporarily while I let them acclimate to the conditions outside here.

I'm hoping the sunburn and repotting of the plants wernt too bad and they recover in a week or two.

Can anyone give me some tips/hints/predictions of what will happen with these plants?

Well put them in partial sun, that is don't let them sit in bright hot direct sun for hours and hours. They should recover, vfts seem to do ok outside even in drier places. But misting them every once in a while would help, and make sure you keep them wet.
smile.gif

Sounds like you gave them too much of a good thing all at once.  VFTs have roots that are susceptible too transplant shock.  They need a little pampering (bright indirect light, high humidity) for a week or so while they recover.  They love lots of bright direct sun, but need to get used to it gradually first to give the leaves a chance to toughen up after being grown in "ideal" greenhouse conditions.  As long as it's still green in the center where the new leaves form, it has a pretty good chance of recovering.  Meanwhile, place it in the terrarium with the top almost completely covered in a place that it will get lots of bright indirect light.  When it seems to be doing ok again, start increasing the opening of the cover gradually over several weeks.  Once the cover is completely open, you can start giving it a little direct sunlight.  Early morning and late evening light are least intense and less likely to burn the leaves again.  Gradually increase the amount of direct light over a couple weeks.  Eventually you'll be able to keep it in direct sunlight during all but the middle/hottest part of the day in Texas.
cool.gif

smile.gif

BCK

Thank you very much for your advice!!

Welcome to the forums! I hope your plants revive:)

Thanks for the welcome
smile.gif
! I bought another one/two just incase. I replanted the new one in some sphagnum and am hoping it does okay.

I tried growing VFTs indoors several times near Houston and I never had much luck. Best I did was have one survive and slowly decline during the course of a year.

Of course knowing what I know now, I'd bring it inside and put it on a sunny windowsill and keep it very moist.

You also could try an experiment and put one inside and another outside. Which ever one looks like it is doing noticeably better, move the other to that location.

Yeah, I have one outside on the patio and the other inside in a bathroom window.

cool, i also hope they do ok
how many do u have now? i only have 5, but i ordered 9 more
biggrin.gif
they should come tommorow

I have 9 individual plants but only two pots for them all.

Back