What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

very interested

Hello Miss PlantAKiss,
=o)
I have never grown an Orchid before. I think they are gorgeous though. I know practically nothing about them. What is a good one to start with and how should I go about getting it?

---,---'--()--,-<@ <- kinda a flower =oP

Hmmm now what's that thing supposed to be??
smile.gif

The ideal first orchid is Phalaenopsis (people call 'em phals).
They're pretty easy to grow, and the flowers are incredible. Most major nurseries sell them, or you could buy one inexpensively online. Just do a web search--the word 'orchid' should bring up hundreds of sellers.
And check out:
<a href="http://www.orchidweb.com

I" target="_blank">http://www.orchidweb.com

I</a> just bought a book published by DK called 'Ultimate Orchid'. The pictures are stunning and it provides all the basic info you could want. I'd HIGHLY recommend you consider getting it.

Growing orchids can be a really fun and rewarding experience. Any more questions?

Oh and PlantAKiss, I finally got a paph!!! Both the flower and the nicely variegated leaves are unbelievable! I can see why you really like them.
Chris

I'd have to agree with Chris re Phals being a good starter orchid, but I would also say that Dendrobiums are just as easy to grow, flower all the time and are generally readily available and cheap.
The flower is not as speccy (Australian slang for spectacular) but there are more of them.

Paphs are my favourites. I have seen a few native ones in the mountains in Sumatra and here in Bali but I left them alone as they are few and far between. You can buy them dirt cheap in the local markets here. Only problem I have with Paphs are they need cooler nights to induce them to spike and I just don't get that.

Cheers, fatboy.

Hello

I agree with Chris and Fatboy...phals and dendrobiums are easy starter orchids and carried by most greenhouses and garden centers. I keep my dens in an east window so they get direct light in the mornings when its not so hot. The phal is near a window with southern exposure but doesnt get sun all day. Both have been good bloomers for me.

The phals are my favorite but a little harder. I wish they were dirt cheap here. They are always pretty expensive. You can sometimes get good buys on eBay. Nice variety there! I am enjoying my paphs new bloom. I need to figure out how to post a pic...I took a nice one yesterday of both together.

Chris...congrats on the new paph! You will love it! The ones with the mottled leaves are usually a bit easier to grow and the foliage is very pretty.

Suzanne

wow, my head's kinda spinning. paph den dk whozit unwhat? LOL. I think I have enough ammo to go to a garden centre now though, thanks guys. at least I have a couple things to keep my eyes open for. I think it's gonna be a while still before they are up for sale here, we are still getting frost every night.

Oops...just realized I said "phal" when I meant "PAPH"! The paphiopedilums are my favorites-- the ones that look like the woodland Lady Slipper orchid (native to the U.S....called cypropedilums).

And yes Flint, you must learn orchid "slingo" just like CP "slingo"...phals (phalenopsis), paphs (paphiopedilum), dens (dendrobiums), mini dens (miniature dendrobiums), catts (cattleyas), etc. there a many many species of orchids.

I'm gonna try to figure out how to post a pic show I can show mine. They are gorgeous!

Flint...go get one! :biggrin:

Suzanne

LOL, thanks Kiss. I think I am getting it, slowly. I just need to go get myself a book like the savage garden to read over and over. Thats how I finally learned all the scientific names for my CP's. I will let you know when I finally get my Orchid and then cry for further help.

Back