What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very cold hardy plants?

I live in zone 4-5, with winters around -10 to -20 F. What plants can I grow outside all year without them freezing to death in the winter? I can probably mulch them, and it snows alot too. Are there any plants that I can grow without mulching?

I am Canadian, I am a moderator of the OCPS (which is actually Canada wide despite "Ontario" being in the title, that's just where we started out)

I am pretty sure I have stated before, D.filiformis ssp. siliformis, D.rotundifolia, northern varieties of D.intermedia and D.anglica, S.purpurea ssp.purpurea, S.flava (I grow a few forms and do NOT mulch, mostly cos winter sneaks up on me) uhhh S.rubra and S.oreophila , P.grandiflora and P.vulgaris all grow just fine for me

S.minor I would watch out for as well as S.alata.

VFTs I have NOT had success with outside, so I bring them into a cold windowsill and they are happy there- I suspect (and have been told by other growers) that mulch WOULD make the difference with them

OH and other forms/varieties of D.filiformis will die- trust me :D

Hope this helps!!!

Thanks for all that! I just wanted to know this because it get's really cold and snows alot, and I wanted to make a bog garden.

Michigan is pretty much (mostly) due west from here, what I posted should be fine there too :D

I live in zone 4-5, with winters around -10 to -20 F. What plants can I grow outside all year without them freezing to death in the winter? I can probably mulch them, and it snows alot too. Are there any plants that I can grow without mulching?

Daffodils, although they tend to make a short appearance. :)

Back