What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Veitchii, cutting update and a couple questions

the 2.5 ft cutting i purchased back in the end of July or so is doing well. it has added 3 new leaves recently. should i take this as a sign that it has rooted? also how hardy is this species? its in a 6 inch pot in a large clear bag under some 4 ft florecent lights. about a month ago i noticed some gray mold forming on the leaf stems so i figured i better open up the top of the bag because the lil holes in the bag werent providing addiquate air circulation. being that its sitting by my bedroom door its been easy to remember to keep it moist and the mold is gone now.it still has the bag around most of it but the top few new leaves are coming out the top. our house has been dropping down to about 58-60 at night and it and my new bongso are absolutly loving it. is it possible that it will grow fine as a windowsill nep?

Rattler

Hi Rattler,
The old Nep growers adage: When a nepenthes cutting produces its first pitcher, it has a root system.
We find veitchii to be fairly easy to grow, but likes consistent humidity. Windowsill culture might be too much change, especially in winter. I wouldn't experiment with that nice clone you got.

Trent

well ill just leave it be till it shows me its unhappy then.

Rattler

Leaving the bag around with the top open a little for some fresh air probably would be fine. I think it would grow ok if it was out in the open but probably wouldn't pitcher. I would also think by now it has developed some roots. Try not to move it around alot and wiggle the stem in the pot.

Tony

i would say yes
smile.gif

What clone is it Rattler? A striped peristome variety?

yeah it is. i got the cutting from a display plant at Orchids Limited in Minniapolis MN. very nice plant and a female to boot.

Rattler

I don't know how humid your house is but I grow my lowlands on the windowsill and they are pitchering up great! Even my mirabilis var echinostoma. My highlands are outside. It's quite abit drier but I drench them once a day. Btw are echinostoma suppose to have crappy leave to pitcher ratio?

Back