What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia quelchii question

I am new to the forum but I'm no stranger to growing carnivorous plants. I've read that Utricularia quelchii grows in the urns of bromeliads, so I also want to know if they can grow in a container of water. I've also seen some growers growing epiphytic Utricularia on filter media or sponge filter media for fish aquariums an I wonder if any one can tell me how it can be done.
I heard that epiphytic Utricularia can be propagated through leaf cuttings and I would like to confirm this.

I've never heard of quelchii growing in bromeliads, only heard of humboltii doing it. I highly dis recommend growing it in pure water. Never tried it but it just sounds like a bad idea to me. Most people grow it in pure live sphagnum. However, if you have an extra piece and don't mind experimenting, by all means go ahead.

Regarding the use of filter media, it is generally used for the pure epiphytes such as jamesoniana, campbelliana, and mannii. Quelchii is a terrestrial/epiphyte. Sometimes highland utrics spawn new plants when the leaves are left in high humidity, but I'm not sure if this works for every species.

Utricularia humboldtii and nelumbifolia both grow in bromeliads but I haven't heard of quelchii doing that. I don't think it would do well in water. I've never grown any plants on filter media myself but it could be worth a try. I have seen a plantlet growing on a Utricularia alpina leaf before, and I remember RSS growing a plant from a leaf in the Orchidioides discussion thread. I think both cases were accidental. The most reliable way to propagate these plants is with divisions.

I second what Tanukimo and Swagalotus have said, not really a good idea to try growing U. quelchii in water. It can rot if you keep it too wet. U. humboldtii or U. nelumbifolia (both of which naturally grow only in bromeliads) are much better choices. Honestly I wouldn't ever submerge anything that wasn't part of the former section Iperua. Although they got merged with section Orchidioides, the plants in this section grow quite differently from the "old-school" Orchidioides.

As far as leaf cuttings go, it works, but is sort of iffy. Divisions are the way to go. I've seen both U. reniformis and U. praetermissa make plantlets at the ends of their leaves, but it's more something that just happens as the plant grows, and if I try to snip off leaves they die without sprouting anything.

Ok, I understand I won't submerge Utricularia quelchii . But I will experiment on the media when the plant is of division size. Also would Utricularia reniformis like to submerge? I also want to know if any epiphytic Utricularia can be self pollinated.

Last edited:
additionally to this question: what are some good bromeliad species to try this out in?

Utricularia humboldtii and nelumbifolia both grow in bromeliads but I haven't heard of quelchii doing that. I don't think it would do well in water. I've never grown any plants on filter media myself but it could be worth a try. I have seen a plantlet growing on a Utricularia alpina leaf before, and I remember RSS growing a plant from a leaf in the Orchidioides discussion thread. I think both cases were accidental. The most reliable way to propagate these plants is with divisions.

I have over the many years of growing Utrics had success propagating many species from leaves, bladder runners, just about any piece. Every time has either been by accident or they required alot of babying to keep them alive, I would not recommend it unless you are just wanting to experiment with extra pieces you may have.

I generally try for a piece about this size.
Utricularia quelchii by randallsimpson, on Flickr

additionally to this question: what are some good bromeliad species to try this out in?

The primary one would be Brocchinia reducta, this is the species that grows with Utric. humboldtii in nature. I just moved mine over to a windowsill to see if I can keep it healthy outside a terrarium before introducing some Utric. humboldtii into the bromeliad.

I have yet to find a filter/sponge material that Utrics will really grow into, they just attach to the material and send out runners to find a better home, live sphagnum moss or that junk moss that everyones hates seem to be the preferred medium for almost all the Utrics I've grown.

Here I'm been growing Utric. nephrophylla for a few years without issues, flowers well and the only real problem is that stupid moss. Basically it is a seed starting sponge I found that fits perfectly into that glass tube. The PVC pipe is just used to keep the light away from the bottom part to keep algae away.

Sorry about the bad photos but it has been a long weekend.
DSC_0084 by randallsimpson, on Flickr
DSC_0088 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Probably my favorite way to propagate the more difficult Utrics would be taking the small black net pot on the right and filling it very loosely with a about half and half tree fern sticks and live sphagnum moss. Just make sure and pull a few pieces the sphagnum moss through the bottom of the pot about 1" to allow for wicking into the black net pot. I then put the black net pot into the clear tall net pot and place that inside the small cup. The cup is filled about 1/2 to 3/4th full of good quality water and left in piece in good conditions for the species. When it comes time for shipping you just remove the small black net pot and pack it. If everything goes to plan you will have enough runners outside the black net pot to repot a few more and repeat for 10 years....This takes up very little space and is great when shipping day comes around.

DSC_0086 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Utric quechii on the left.
DSC_0087 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Other things I've tried in the past.

Utric humboltii in about 1/2" of water with a very small about of live sphagnum moss.
DSC_0065 by randallsimpson, on Flickr
DSC_0064 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Utric humboltii on a windowsill growing in a "styrofoam raft" filled with seed starting sponges and tree fern sticks.

Started out like this.

DSC_0066 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Last photos I took of it are below it is larger now.
Utricularia humboldtii by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Some other things I've wrote that are similiar to what you are talking about.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/u...ea-suggestions-underwater-growth-display.html
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/b...a-grow-planning-looking-input.html?highlight=
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/u...orchiodioides-setup-planing-construction.html Still hoping I will be able to finish this one someday.

RSS, I am very impressed with your humboldtii. I've purchased a humboldtii from native exotics and I'm wondering if can give me any pointers.

The way I'm growing it is not ideal for the species, I would check out the thread below. Almost everything you would want to know is in there, from many different growers so you get different points of view. For instance I have NEVER gotten humboldtii to flower since we don't have the proper temps here. Sure I can grow it but I can only guess at how to flower it. Anything from RL7836 is worth reading twice :)

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/u...ion-orchidioides-info-sharing-discussion.html

That looks amazing. I can't wait till my collection grows.:)

Back