What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowers just opened on this species, and I have confirmed the identity of this plant. It took 2 years to establish. Sadly, my posting webspace is currently down so I can't post a photo, but it is unmistakable. So, if I have shared this with any of you, you may rest easy that this is the true species.

A lot of plants are bursting into flower. I have a U. blanchetti scape with 8 open flowers which sets a record! U. nephrophylla white flower is sending up a forest of scapes. Also in flower are all 3 forms of U. livida, U. prehensilis, U. uniflora, U. sandersonii, U. pusilla, U. subulata, U. dichotoma, U. graminifolia, and U. uliginosa. U. flacidda is coming along soon.

Lordy I love these plants!

Where do yo get all these species? I've never heard of U. Pusilla what does it look like?

I get my plants by making those that have extra plants feel bad about not giving me any of them. I also trade, beg, and make polite inquiries after demonstrating my skills with these plants. About the only thing I don't do is buy them.

U. pusilla (the species name is never capitalized BTW) is a yellow flowered species. The leaves are about as broad as U. dichotoma or U. prehensilis.

You can find some photos of other folks plants under Utricularia at Bob Z's website:

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

Tamlin, you'll have to make sure that you get some of these species to set seed. I think you need to go on a feverish pollination spree. I know there are a few of us down here in OZ that would kill to get their hands on some of the plants you've just mentioned- especially me!.

Regards,

Sean.

Sean,

I have tried hair and fishing line without success trying to pollinate the flowers. So far my success rate is miserable. It doesn't help that my old eyes aren't what they once were. I would love to be able to send you seed, but my pollination skills with the Lentibularacea are poor. Have you any suggestions? Is there an optimal time to make the attempt: I know in some flowers the stigma must become receptive, or the pollen must ripen before it will come free?

Good question.  I am also trying to propagate.  William, I am jealous
tounge.gif
  You have a most impressive collection
wow.gif
  I look forward to seeing pictures when your site is back up.

Well, Pete Thiel is pretty busy so I have to be patient, it's thanks to his kindness that I can post my photos to the web. I am currently hunting new free cyberspace, so I hope it won't be much longer before I can get some photos up.

There are some pretty good Utricularia photos on my page at:

http://www.sherlock-droserae.com/upload/index.asp

Just click the "Tamlin" link in blue and select "thumbnails". I don't post this much as there are a few errors in ID on the site, although none of them are Utricularia to the best of my knowledge. There are a lot of Drosera photos too.

I have a couple of interesting species coming into flower too, U. triloba and U. simplex. I hope that the flower will confirm the identification.

You might be thinking of U. triflora, a nice Australian species. U. triloba is pretty similar to U. subulata.

Tamlin, A beautiful little flower. Looks very similar to a U. uniflora. Must get my hands on this one as soon as possible. Does it grow as an annual or perennial?

Regards,

Sean.

It seems like a perennial, at least so far. I have grown it for about 2 years, and it slowly grew a fine flush of all green surface stolons. Just prior to flowering however some of these turned yellow. When this has happened in the past, the plants have all died back radicaly (e.g. U. warburgii) after anthesis, and then slowly resumed the process again. I'll keep you filled in on what this one does.

I just wanted to udate you on the flowers of this fantastic species. These photos were taken 100103, and the original flowers remain as beautiful as the day they opened. How's that for long lasting!

Back