What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia geminiloba help

Most of my plants are doing well in my Orchidioides setup, but I'm not sure about my Utricularia geminiloba. When I got it, it had quite a few healthy-looking leaves.

DSC_0740.jpg

However now there are only two leaves (one of which is new). One of the leaves is covered by the moss.

DSC_0152.jpg

Is geminiloba more difficult to grow than most of the other Orchidioides? The entire plant is wrapped up in live sphagnum. The days are in the high 70s and the nights are in the low 60s. The lighting is T5s for 10 hours a day, and humidity is constantly at least 70-80%. I have had it for three months.

IIRC, U. geminiloba is part of the former Iperua utrics, which do well in conditions that are somewhat different from the other members of sect. Orchidioides.

I haven't got this one completely figured out yet but it seems to want a dryer dormancy period.

From sectiion Iperua not sect. Orchidioides. Sounds like it likes cooler temperatures.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/articles/CPNv30n3p71_74.pdf

"Judging from what I observed in the wild, I would say U. geminiloba can be grown in moist soil year-round, without a dry dormancy. It also seems to like indirect sunlight, high air humidity and constantly cool temperatures between 10 and 25°C."

Last edited:
From sectiion Iperua not sect. Orchidioides. Sounds like it likes cooler temperatures.

Section Iperua has been abandoned and the 2 have been again combined since the plants in section Iperua were found to be paraphyletic rather than monophyletic as once believed.

Last edited:
Back