What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia delicatula

My Utricularia delicatula that I received last May from Tamlin is now flowering. It has a very small and delicate flower.
U_delicatula1901.JPG

i think the color has to be why they named it!
unless of course it's like megga tiny small then i guess that'd be y they named it that

but truely , a Beautiful sight!

I have some seeds of this species. Anyone has any experience with the germination of this species?

Very nice indeed Bob!  I didn't get that shading on the spur that your photo shows.  This species appears to be self fertile so you may well get seed from it.

I have found Utricularia seed to be the most difficult to germinate unless it is fresh.  If you have seed I suggest you sow it asap.  I have good luck using a sphagnum slurry, allowing it to dry to moist and then gently spraying until the water level is again at the surface of the mix. You must take care not to bury the seed with the spray.

Tamlin, could I ask what do you mean by sphagnum slurry? Would you have a picture to show?

Very pretty flower there. I like that little shading of color at the tip.

Thanks BobZ.
smile.gif

Congrats! It kinda looks like the cleisto-gamous flowers my U.subulata produces except there white not yellow.

Heres a pick of a chasmo-gamous U.subulata flower ;
U.subulata_chasmoganamous_flower_1.JPG

A sphagnum slurry is made by running moist LFS through a food processor until is is ground fine. Add pure water until it makes a very wet mush. That's the stuff.

Pond Boy,

The terms you want to use are cleisto-gamous and chasmo-gamous (literally closed room and open room).

Thanks for the explanation, Tamlin!

Err, no problem. The hyphen should be left out, I just put it there to show the spelling and form.

Back