What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia calycifida

That is awesome!

That is fantastic! Such a happy plant!

My Calycifida is currently flowering, its grown abit since the last pic, but is still slow as summer is just starting up, but for some reason the flowers are tiny, I think its the heat

www.flickr.com/photos/87216028@N06/10354515575

www.flickr.com/photos/87216028@N06/10354498966

Last edited:
Adelea: nice and healthy plant you got there :)

I should really find time to photograph my seedlings, even at only an inch or two across on the leaves they're staying pretty purple.....

I can't get mine to grow. It just sits there...

Same terrarium as my Cephalotus, in a 2" x 2" undrained container with an airy mixture. Lightly shaded by a taller pot.

Same terrarium as my Cephalotus, in a 2" x 2" undrained container with an airy mixture. Lightly shaded by a taller pot.

Look like perfect.

In my setup, my caly grow faster when i water/drain 2 times a week. Maybe its the reason why your have idling plantlets?

Look like perfect.

In my setup, my caly grow faster when i water/drain 2 times a week. Maybe its the reason why your have idling plantlets?

I water them every morning, so that might be why.

I got mine as a tiny plug from Johnny. I just threw it in a net pot in my nepenthes mix and tossed it in a mason jar. It sits in a NW facing window and only gets a little bit of sun. It seems to be much more shade loving than most of my other plants. I just mist it about once a week so it's sitting in about a cm of water. I don't water again until it all evaporates and the sphagnum on the top of the pot starts looking dehydrated. Of all my plants (aside from the succulent pot on the side of my apartment that I have literally not touched or watered once in 3 months and is flourishing), my U. calycifida 'Asenith White' is the most low-maintnence plant in my collection. I just water it and forget about it and it's flowered twice in the past few months, and exploded with growth. Hope this helped. The bottom line for me is, high humidity, temp drop (being next to the open window), low light, and not being constantly wet. Cheers!

"The bottom line for me is, high humidity, temp drop (being next to the open window), low light, and not being constantly wet. Cheers!"

Exact! I forgot the temp drop at night. Its a major point with this specie. Low light too.

Alright, finally took pics of my seedlings..... I need to get them into something bigger, but here they are:

I only sowed a small portion of the seeds (the rest are still in the fridge) but I got 17 right off the bat. There's at least 5 or 6 that are really vigorous, and they all have the deep purple veins.
~hcarlton

Nice ! You do a nice germination job, many ppl have hard time trying.

I didn't do anything special either, just sowed them on wet LFS and stuck them on a shelf in the greenhouse.....

You can say you have green thumbs then :)

Some ppl just dont have the natural skills, like my father.

He can kill a tillandsia in 2 days.

I have many friends like that...... on the other hand, I can manage to kill certain sundews and pitcher plants pretty easily....

Back