What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utrics

Hello,
    Last year, I found bladderworts and some sphagnum on the side of a local college while taking a shortcut to a mcdonalds. How did I know it was sphagnum and bladderworts(with puprple flowers) that I saw? I crawled on my knees and looked myself
tounge.gif
. well, this year, I didn't see any flowers. I saw dump trucks dumping BARK over the sphagnum and utrics and grass and other plants! I had no idea what to do, no one to contact, anything. It's probably too late now. they didn't know better anyways... anything I can/could do? i thought i would post this cause it has something to do with conservation...
I also saw a bunch of white flowers while driving through the forest, I wonder if they were bladderworts...
confused.gif

-Spec
P.S.- I think PFT should sell like 300 flytraps to schools, and have the kids go out and sell them, like 50% of the money would go to conservation, better than popcorn
tounge.gif

There is a site that sells wholesale Vfts for retail sale. But they don't really have a selection and I think PFT could do a better job.
smile.gif
Just ask Phil about it. I'm sure he would consider it.

Mike
smile.gif

PFT does wholesale, and a portion of every sale is donated to a conservation effort.

Spectabilis73,
I'm not sure if you could have done anything, We don't know if they broke any laws. Was it private property? If so did they have permission to dump the bark? Was the bladderwort a protected species? You'd have to answer those questions first.
The only thing I can think for you to do while they were dumping was to ask them what they were doing. Ask if they had permission. Then find out who the land owner is and verify their story. If they we're illegally dumping that may had been enough for them to change their mind. But nothing about what you said sounds suspicious. It never hurts to check.
If they were building something it probably was too late. You have to convince the planning board not to issue a permit to build. That is hard to do and sometimes takes years. If all else fails try to convince the landowner to allow the plants to be moved to a protected location.

Back