What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric Questions

Ok So im getting about 8 utrics, any sudgestions on the growing conditions of some fo them i know that
livida*
sandersonii*
dichtoma *
renformis**
longifolia** do good in windowsill's

but what about Bisquamata*
warburgii and prehensillis? Tropical or Terrestrial? Dormancy?

sudgestions for Terrestrials(*)
and for the tropicals(**)did i label them right? and How do they go for winter and wich ones specificaly?

THANKS!
Cheers

My U.livida does well in pure peat moss with a high water table. Bisquamata does well in pure peat but seems to like lower water tables. I can even grow it like a nep, or give it a high water table, but it does best with a low water table IME.
dewy

bisquamata could I grow with my nep?

Cheers

no dormancy for any, mine get same conditions year round. good light is a MUST if you want to bloom lots of different species

reniformis grow like a nep or orchid, loose LFS let dry abit generally hates being constantly soaked, large form needs 8 inch pot, small form in 4 inch pot, when in doubt more room is better. forms tubers, mine has some about as thick as my pinky

livida, sandersonii, dichtoma, Bisquamata, warburgii and prehensillis grow in pure peat with high water table have bloomed all with lil trouble

longifolia: will grow as a fixed aquatic(sand covered with 2 inches of water or so. i grow it in waterlogged LFS constantly soaked by a high water table, likes lots of room, have mine in an 8x8 undrained pot

Should it be live or dead sphagnum?

Thanks alot by the way

Cheers

Either live or dead will work. I pefer live as you don't have to repot as often.

And to follow one of Rattler's comment, pinky sized "tubers" for reniformis are on the small end. When I repotted last year I had what are besd described as full sized carrots. 20-25cm long and easily as big around as a quarter. Bigger pots equals bigger plant mass.

Also, re: longifolia. This plant is extremely flexible. I have some planted as terrestrials and some as "epiphytes", all are doing well. It will grow in straight peat, straight LFS, any type of CP mix, Nep/orchid mix, floating in your water tray... I think you get the idea.

with the chiliean sphag i use it generally becomes alive at some point even starting with dead. i looked last night and my reniformis is growing in a 3 inch layer of LFS over about 3 inches of orchid bark. i just water it when my nepenthes need water it doesnt mind getting a lil dry(because of the tubers) and prefers it to being to wet. if yours when you get it doesnt have much for tubers i would keep it more on the wet side but not sopping wet like the terrestrials.

Hmm Ok this should be fun!!

Thanks for all the help i will let you know when they come in!

Cheers

I got them finaly, they are all healthy, and green exept for the longonfolia i think, its long leaves are kind of well, dieing, one or two is still green for the most part, they seem Happy im getting them all bigger pots this weekend, What do you guys think of Those Craft cases that enclose Benie Babys? Similar to those cheep plastic domes that are cubes? Well would one of those do ok as a pot so i can see the Some what of the Plants Capture method?

cheers

Back