What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USPS mix up - seed viability

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
So let's just say a little miscommunication with USPS lead to some Drosera seeds being left there for possibly a month. I was curious whether it's even worth sowing them as my guess is that they've been kept at room temp...everything I keep reading says that Drosera seeds can germinate after a long time but most are in regards to keeping them at low temps (ie. refrigeration). They are definitely still dry as they were in small, individual zip locks. Again, is it even worth it?

try what can u loss might take a long time to germ thou

Yes, I'd say there is a good chance they are viable. If they are temperates, stratify them first. Not an expert though.

Sorry, should have mentioned that they are all sub-tropicals and tropicals.

I put them in the fridge to save whatever they have left. Just wondering if I should even get my hopes up...

depends on species. Some it wont matter. some the warm room temps might actually help.

So fridge was a good or bad idea? I am not able to get them going right now and was planning on doing that after Thanksgiving...but I guess if I have to I can try.

Bump.

Any more thoughts on how I should approach this, even if it's just a "heck if I know, see what happens" type of post?

Sundews seeds can lie dormant for years from my experience, waiting for ideal conditions. I say sow them.

Back