What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using growlights?

My windowsill is getting pretty dang cold, and there's really no light anymore. So, I was wondering if I could grow my Tolumnia and Oncidium hybrid with my Nepenthes until spring?

They're growing under four 40 watt ~6000K tubes. How far beneath the tubes should they be?

Thanks,
-Ben

They can probably get as close as possible, but start with them a few inches away and see how they handle it. Give them time, especially the Tol, because orchids can be slow to reveal their unhappiness, especially the thick-leaved ones. They can be equally unwilling to show that they're happy. On the whole, the Tol should do better under the light than the Onc, because there won't be such a dramatic decrease in light intensity from top to bottom. Good luck.

I did a bit of googling about grolites and I'm not getting questions answered. What qualities or wavelengths do grolites provide that makes them different than ordinary shoplites? I have two and they don't seem to provide anything impressive when it comes to brightness.

I guess I sort of thought that growlight=shoplight meant for growing plants. I am, then, using "shoplights."

Ok, thanks Bruce. They're maybe both around 6" below, but mainly I'm just using this as a substitute for sunlight on my window. They seemed to get enough light during the summer; they've both flowered.

-Ben

Back