What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Us citizen help wanted please

Hi All. Hope the mods don't mind me posting here but it still does have a CP edge to it!

I'm a British citizen hoping to come to the USA this summer to work (and eventually for good) Only I don't know how? I have a law degree from a good UK institution but am basically willing to do anything. (Heres the CP bit). Is there anyone who could offer this British cousin a bit of work so to make the transference via work visa, perhaps in a nursery or their own employment?

I have uncles/aunts/cousins all over America but as you may know this is not direct enough to support any longer-term application. I ask becasue I love the USA and indeed my father was US born and dearly wish to make a vocational start there.

So if you can offer any advice/help theyll be some CPS in it at the very least when I move!

Thankyou for your time.

Aww...I wish I could help you out but I don't know of any job opportunities. I will keep my ears open though. I could supply you with the names and addresses of some companies here though if you'd like to apply. We have one of the largest law firms in the world based here.

My ancestors on my father's side were from England (Nottingham). And in fact, there is an "Ellis" in the family somewhere. Maybe we are related.
biggrin.gif

Good luck!
Suzanne

Unbelievable Suzannae. Im FROM nottingaham! Yeah any companies addressess might be a great start!

Are you kidding??? Hey...we might really be related! lol I was kinda hoping I was related to Robin Hood...
biggrin.gif

BTW...I liked the latinization of my name...Suzannae. hehe
wink.gif

OK, I know that, as an american, I probably haven't paid enough attention to immigration laws, but... you said your father was born in america?

As far as I know, if you are born here, you get an american citizenship whether you like it or not. And if you are a child of an american citizen, born in another country, you still inherit that citizenship...

I think it might behoove you to research these laws, and find out if you can simply apply to make your citizenship official.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bigbreakinl @ May 19 2004,2:10)]my father was US born
i thought that if you were born in the usa, you were automatically a citizen..? correct? if i'm right on that, wouldn't you aleady be a citizen of the usa, since you are the child of a citizen?

tech...

Hm, I should know, but I don't... What I do know is that if YOU were born in the US, then you have US citizenship, but you ALSO have citizenship in your parent's home country. If you don't have dual citizenship because you weren't born in the US, then you should be able to apply for dual citizenship (as stated above, you'll need to check exactly what to do as I don't know how the laws are in the UK), you could use the fact that much of your family lives here (among other things) to justify it. My only piece of advice is DON'T just use a greencard unless you are strongly opposed to becoming a citizen or having dual citizenship. Things will be meh, alright if you want to become a citizen, but if you want to live here and retain only your citizenship in the UK, prepare to be treated inhumanely when it comes to the INS... I've often pondered how the INS isn't confronted on violation of basic human rights as stated by the UN... Well, good luck, if you have any other questions feel free to PM me. And incase you're curious, my statements are based on my experiences as a greencard holding German citizen living in the US.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Just to claryfy; My father was born a US citizen in Baltimore but his citizenship was revoked after he married my English mother (or he chose sole Uk citizenship as oppose to dual). Then I was born here in the UK, so for all intents and purposes I'm English. I wrote to US gov. and was told because the citizenship of my father was revkoed more than 5 years before my birth I have no right of application.

For this reason I can't pursue the relation route to residence in the USA. I am often shocked when I hear about the different nationalities of people who are granted US citzenship for seeimingly ludicrous reasons which I won't go into here but someone like me, a Brit with qualifications and US heritage has such is not accepted!

So Est, how did you get the green card? Anymore suggestions, much appreciated!

Back