What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Urticularia ID pls

Hey everybody I'm one of those guys into planted aquaria.

Anyway a guy on our forums collected this the other day and had no idea what it was.

native2.jpg

native4.jpg

I said it was a utric but wasn't sure what type. My guess is U. uliginosa. It was reportedly collected in less than 5 cm of water. Collection was in This dam in SE Queensland, Australia.

Sorry, no pictures of the flowers as yet.

Thanks in advance.

Hard to say without flowers, the leaves of "terrestrials" when grown aquatic tend to change morphology rather radically.

At a guess, based nothing more than on appearance (I do not have Taylor with me so I would not even bank on this guess) would be U. involvens.

Regardless of what it is is it pretty impressive to see it establishing

A shot of the flower stem, alas no open flowers.

th_native5.jpg

I'm not sure I'd call it established yet. i think the guy has just dropped it in the tank before he decides what to do with it - if it's something that's not going to survive long-term in a tank it's not worth persisting with. So we'll see if it flourishes or not. If it gives a nice lawn efect for our tanks like U. graminifolia it'll go OK.

I think from my basic knowledge U. involvens is a tropical species, and I think has only been recorded in the tropics in Australia. Where this was collected from is sub-tropical, around 25-26°S.

Well like I said, involvens was just an off the cuff answer based on what I have currently growing (it does look a lot like my involvens...)

Well like I said, involvens was just an off the cuff answer based on what I have currently growing (it does look a lot like my involvens...)

Thanks pyro. Yeah I'd agree it looks a lot like some of the photos on U. involvens that I've seen. However I cam upon this photo which makes me think even more that it's U. uliginosa.

uulig03.jpg

Just an update on this.

I went collecting today to the same spot and got some of this. I looks in the wild the same as the above photo. Got a photo of a flower which I'll upload soon for a more precise ID.

Funny thing was when i was out looking for some fish about 50 miles away I found it again!

Photos where it was collected:

P3020055.jpg

P3020057.jpg

Back