What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update on my Axolotls (Pic Heavy)

Ive had these guys (or girls) for a while now and thought it was about time I posted an update on them...
They have been doing great, at least I feel like they have, any small injuries they had when I received them have completely or almost completely healed, Falcor my leucisitic axolotl had some issues with her (pretty sure it's a girl) gills when I brought her home, one side had pretty much thinned out on the gill filaments, but now they are full and fluffy, her feet have completely healed, and she's grown about 2" or more, at a total of about 8" now...
My Melanoid GFP Toothless, he is a little ball of energy, swimming around quite a bit at night and playing on the fake plants... All of his/her injuries have healed, and I have come to realize the white spot on his side is not any form of bacteria, fungus, or injury, just a pigment lacking patch of skin... Kinda cute really... Toothless has grown maybe an inch...
They are fed with feeder guppies that I breed at home, earthworms, occasional bloodworm cubes, or more often than anything, HBH super soft krill pellets, which they love....

Here are some photos taken with my iPhone 4S and a nifty camera attachment for it called the Ōlloclip... I was too lazy to bust out the Nikon SLR and having too much fun playing with the Ōlloclip... These are an assortment of fisheye, macro, and wide angle shots... Again all taken on the iPhone 4S.

3e3e8c6c.jpg

4ba13647.jpg

d7188217.jpg

13428120.jpg

71347ed3.jpg

a909f2ae.jpg

deb04a77.jpg

8bda42e0.jpg

828e0135.jpg

94d2147d.jpg

bce822fe.jpg

582ac208.jpg

72cc43eb.jpg

86d2bac4.jpg

2b24c420.jpg

3488057a.jpg

a6c16c26.jpg

89a339f0.jpg

bdaaa492.jpg

5d2dc3f9.jpg

ebe7eb17.jpg

3210556b.jpg

fea1ce1b.jpg

371893e9.jpg

4b529747.jpg

beca0e5d.jpg

6b42e7e7.jpg

dc5364a3.jpg

df1a8099.jpg

0b24233f.jpg

8f05fc6a.jpg

77071d7f.jpg

f72f6e99.jpg

1de05625.jpg

Those are so freaking cool. Thanks for sharing!

So very cool . . . love those critters . . .

Nice pets! Good they're doing well. Must read up on them, they look interesting.

Thanks guys, they are quite easy to care for so long as you can provide a cold, clean, low water movement tank... They grow pretty quick, and get upwards of a foot long, sometimes a bit more, and can regenerate limbs and portions of their body which is pretty cool... They can live upwards of 15 years in captivity.

Awesome animals!

How big is the tank? Any cool plants or anything?

Looks like an amazing pet.

Will

Very cool! They look great.

Awesome! Such a shame these animals are extinct (or nearly so) in their native habitat.

Brinker - the tank is a 20 gallon standard, no cool plants, just fake ones to keep maintenance and expenses down....

Jbradt - thanks!

Natalie - yes it is a shame, there are so few left and I wish we had a better representation in captivity, though I love my little guys/girls all the same... Reason I say that is because it is believed that the axolotls in captivity actually have tiger salamander genes in them and are not pure axolotl, as the two species can cross breed and produce fertile offspring... There was a species of tiger salamander discovered at the same time as Ambystoma mexicanum (The axolotl) and were believed to have been crossed, not knowing the other species was a tiger salamander in a neotonic state, and they only later discovered this when upon closer examination or when the tigers morphed, though this is kinda up in the air...

falcor is a fitting name. how big do they get?

They get up to 13" long, usually 10-12"

Back