What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unseasonably warm temperatures

Went to check on the dormant plants that I keep outside today. Thanks to the unseasonably warm temperatures for this time of year (55F last week here in IN :crazy:), the sundews (mainly filiformis) seem to be thinking that they are back in FL and are throwing out the first leaves of the season.
I didn't have the heart to tell them that cold weather was right around the corner and that April was still some ways away...

Any other northerners out there witnessing their plants enjoying the unusual warm weather?

its been oddly warm here in MD too although we get snow yesterday and now its in the 50's? How strange but my plants havent broken dormancy so i guess thats a good thing, mainly sarrs are outside i have my filiformis in the fridge right now and will make it go through dormancy lol

furthermore, my mediterranean climate has been missing our characteristic wet cold season. it's just been cold here. no snow in the mountains either.

It's been really warm up here in Boston too. This is the first year that I'm actually worried about losing some vft's and Sarracenias. There's no covering of snow and the bogs are full of hoar ice. Fingers crossed that everything makes it.

Been pretty warm here in Ottawa, Ontario too. We've been in the positives many time. Usually around this time it's at -20ish celsius.

Very warm here for the time of the year.

Yes... quite warm here as well. It has only been below freezing a hand full of times. And was nearly 50 degrees for a week or so straight.

Luckily my plants do not accept the low light levels as enough to break dormancy. Also, they will have a rough rest of the winter if it does stay below freezing for long...

Been in the 40s here, which is weird...supposed to get rather cold though soon.

All my dormant plants are growing new growth... only been below freezing here a handful of times so far and what snow we get is usually the dipp in dots stuff and it melts the next day... we usually are being pounded with lake effect and temps are below freezing at the end of nov. Begin dec garunteed but nothing like that yet

LOL, my filiformis have done that a few times in the past, but then go right back to sleep when temps get to normal range for this time of year without any ill effect come spring.

It is very unusually warm here, in the 80s, the Sarracenia are starting to wake up.

Same thing here in Alberta. Looks like we will be getting some cold weather soon though. Woke up today with snow and its about -8C. Next Monday we have a high of -21C, with a windchill of -29C... brrrr

The erratic weather in Georgia wasn't enough to even trigger dormancy.

Yup! Pretty warm in toronto/hamilton as well. Last year and year before, at this time there was snow heaps all over the sidewalks. I haven't seen even a cm of snow this winter. More like autumn or early spring right now. I am dreading to see how much hotter temps will get in summer again. :(

It's been in the highish seventies since the new year here too. I'm glad... the neps were all really angry from the chilly wet year last year and I think this past week's weather has helped save my plants from more imminent deaths :ohno:

It's been in the 50s here. Luckily, everything outside is still dormant. This is the complete opposite of last year.

Temperatures at my house have been fairly normal (daily highs in the 60s), but we haven't had any measurable rain since November. I'm not supposed to have to water my plants in the winter! I'm spending so much money on distilled water. Despite all the sunshine, none of my plants have been looking like they're going to emerge from dormancy within the next month or so. Still no flower buds or pitchers on the sarrs, and no new leaves on the VFTs. My dewy pine has been producing very small leaves lately - is that normal behavior for them in the winter? Or is it abnormal behavior from the lack of rain?

Back