What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown/unnamed nepenthes seeds...

I'm going to be receiving some unknown/unnamed Nepenthes seeds and I was wondering how you would go about handling this?

Should I treat them as an intermediate until I can ID them? And what's the viability of neps seeds stored at 4c?

Whe you plant the seeds plant the ASAP they aren't good after a ong periodof time(seeds). Put the seeds on the mix of perlite ad peat moss, don't bary the seeds.

Make sure the seeds mix is always wet but not soggy or sponge like you know. Then keep the seeds in 75-82*F and humidity 82%. Then you should see something in a Month. Remeber keep it under grow lights.

Phil,

The seeds i'm being sent are 10 months old stored at 4c the entire time. What's your opinion on the viability? I'm still thinking it may be up in the air without knowing what type of Nep it is.
confused.gif

I think they are to old. I read some were that if you have seeds that are over 6months old then they are of no use. But it is still worth a try. Were did you buy these seeds from or who did you trade.

Phil

I believe it was triffid nurseries. No idea what they were, but he said that he's had them for about 10 months at 4c. Hmm, can't hurt. I guess we'll see what happens.

Anything I can do to increase my chances?

Use superthriev. And the temp up same with light nd humidty.
biggrin.gif
Hope you get a new species or something really nice.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phil traper2 @ April 14 2003,10:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Use superthriev. And the temp up same with light nd humidty.
biggrin.gif
Hope you get a new species or something really nice.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hmm, I was actually wondering what would happen if I soaked the seed for a day in superthrive. Thanks for the help Phil.

Btw, what did you mean by:
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And the temp up same with light nd humidty.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Remeber to mix the superthriev correctly and what I ment was that the light should be really good and the temps to be really high so the seeds would thriev.
biggrin.gif
good Luck

Hmm, I could put them in a mini-greenhouse during the day, give it some sun, the temp these days seems to be at least 80f during the day inside of it. At night I could put them in the basement by my boiler, keep the temp up at night that way. Doesn't sound too bad actually. Thanks for the help Phil.

Will that be okay if they are actually of highland origin? I am no authority on this, but a good medium to sow maybe 50/50 perlite/vermerculite and then lightly misted with a fungicide. Older seed may have less resistence to fungus, and the compost is one that is used very well by a friend in the UK. It is also non- organic as opposed to a peat mix(and not as likely to attract fungus in itself).

Regards,

Joe

Griff,

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. I've been trying to find a reason to use some vermiculite anyway.
wink.gif
I'll probably try that with a few of them. I was also thinking about just using milled sphagnum. I may try them on an enclosed porch. It get's south and west sun, day temp up to about 90f in a mini-greenhouse, night temp down to 60f at the least.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vertigo @ April 16 2003,01:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Griff,

Yeah, I was just thinking about that.  I've been trying to find a reason to use some vermiculite anyway.  
wink.gif
 I'll probably try that with a few of them.  I was also thinking about just using milled sphagnum.  I may try them on an enclosed porch.  It get's south and west sun, day temp up to about 90f in a mini-greenhouse, night temp down to 60f at the least.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Most seed does better in pure sphagnum

Most seed does better in pure sphagnum

The lady lies! Pure sphagnum is the ...root of all evil. Just kidding.)P
   Everyone has their own opinion.  Milled sphagnum is my choice of medium for most seeds. I mill my own, as some on this forum have mentioned they do. Chopped live is recommended on the ICPS seed bank site, I think. My only concern is the moss outgrowing the seedlings, and I have had that happen even with Mosser Lee milled(it starts growing and takes over). I would think live sphagnum is resistent to fungus.
 Darcie, do you mean LF, milled or live, when you ay "pure" sphagnum? Just curious.  
 I have yet to try the perlite/vermerculite method, but I have seen some good stuff. My friend who uses it will get 100s of seedlings off of that.

Regards,

Joe

ok
Mix you should use is. Peat moss50% Perlite35% 25% bark. This is a good mix to have you seeds in. I learnd this From Andrew Marshall. Place seeds on top don't put peat moss over them.

Water: Water when mix is starting to dry out a little. The seeds like to be in moist mix. Use only Distilled water or rain water.

Humidity and Temps: Have high humidity about 83% and the temp's should be around 83*F. It is most likely the seeds well still sprout if it is a highland in lowland conditions. When you find out what it is when it is a smal plant or it sn't doing to well hen change it into intermeadet then if it is getting better but not the best switch it into highland conditions.

What I would do to be on the safe side is but pot some seeds and put them into lowland condition and pot some up and have them in intermedia and have some in Highland conditions.

Lighting: You should have great lighting and can have Direct sunlight until afternoon sun. Best thing to use is Grow Lights.

Have fun and I hope something sprouts and you have wonderful plants. Happ growing-- Phil
biggrin.gif

Back