What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown sundew

rockstarcobain

Sarracenia in another life....
I bought this in a pot of binatas and the seller said it was a rotundifolia, but I don't think so. What do you guys think? Sorry for the bad quality. Do your best.

CPs.jpg

Looks like Drosera aliciae

yeah, something along those lines.

Well, it is orange, and small. And it's not clumped. I was thinking like slackii, or something, but I don't know. I thought that I had an aliciae, but if that is an aliciae, then my other clump isn't.

Without a clearer photo it's impossible to make a better ID.

D. aliciae in cultivation appears to have two major forms - one with longer narrower leaves, one with somewhat shorter broader wedge shaped leaves. Color varies from depending on amount of light the plant gets. It may not be clumped if a single plant was replanted and it hasn't seeded or divided. Mine turned a reddish orange when outdoors but the dew production was down so I moved it back to a windowsill. Now it's a green with a slight red tinge, the glands deep red and plenty of dew.

This one is orange:
http://www.sarracenia.com/photos/drosera/dalic03.jpg

That's it. Thanks NAN!!! My other one, that I thought was Aliciae, is Spathulata.

It looks like a D. aliciae. Here's mine, if it helps:

IMG_0045.jpg

It could be D. spatulata, but the tips of the leaves are usually more rounded. It could be D. slackii or half a dozen other rosetted Drosera.

Again a better photo would help. Details like the relative length of the petioles and tentacles, shape of the stipules etc. are lacking.

Is it flowering?

It is flowering, but they are just little red buds right now. The plant is about the size of a dime. My camera is not working now, so I can't take another picture, but it looks Jim's aliciae only mine is orange and smaller.

woo hoo! Tamlin's back!!!!!!!!!
i also say D. aliciae. the leaf shape is like mine...but mine have slightly longer leaves.
Alex

Hey Hey, My My! LOL, yes, in response to the quote at the bottom of Rockstarcobain's post, Jim....but better yet not to fade away, and not burn out either: more fun over time!

LOL! you're better with the lyrics than I am! "...Southern Man..."

Back