What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown sarracenia

I am no expert, but I thought leuco x purp also. Is it possibly with the "heterophylla" purpurea(maybe with a green leuco, too)? The plant's dimensions look right, ie it's not etiolated, so it has some decent light, but that lack of color....

Regards,

Joe

Spec, I don't scream at anybody, but you do have the tendency to jump too fast. I have read all the posts, and yes, there could be leuco in it, but minor would do very strange things to that hood, and there is just no evidence of that to me. I still lean towards the flava influence, but I cannot fault Pyro's observations either. I will say one thing Spec. You do have good knowledge and I have seen you use it well, and I have seen you "die on the vine" because of the inflexibility of your thinking. Spec!! You raise CP!! They continually baffle me, and amaze me, and I have to change my thinking on them all the time because they just won't do what you want, but are quick to do what they want, leaving us confused and perplexed sometimes. Chill out, amigo. This is a learning experience for us all, and I am continually updating my knowledge of these remarkable critters. I will see you at a BACPS meeting someday soon, and maybe we can sit and shoot the breeze, and loosen you up a little. I think personally that you will be a top notch CP man someday, but that comes with time. And lots of it!!

Looks like a normal S.x mitchelliana to me. Look at this photo, the pitcher on the left is newly open and not coloured up fully. I would say it looks virtually identical to our mystery plant.

Catexcell2.jpg

Maybe the mystery plant is S. x trayci?

Looks like Sarracenia x mitchelliana (purpurea x leucophylla)

Best regards,

Ries

in my eyes it looks like S. Moorei (Flava x Leuc) x Purpurea

Edit:make that a purp heterophylla

I think it is S. purpurea (probibly heterophylla) x. alata

If it had leuco in it as one of the dominate parents we would see more "windows". At least my plants do.
Another possiblility is
S. purpurea heterophylla x [alata x. (leuco x. rubra)]

Kirk, I was wondering about perhaps a rubra ssp. wherryi influence. That is what that nectar roll reminds me of.

yeah and wheryi doesn't get alot of color , maybe it could be S. Moorei x (Purpurea x Rubra Wheryi) x Purpurea

Whatever it is exactly doesn't matter too much. It is a nice plant with really good form. The hood in the last picture is short and rounded, and reminds me of wherryi, as well as the nectar roll.

youre exactly right bugweed, I wouldn't mine adding that to my growlist even if it just said:
1 S. x Unknown Hybrid

Back