What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown nep

unknep.jpg

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays to all
I'm am hoping that someone can help me identify this nep. I've tried the www and D'Amato's Savage Garden but
I cannot find an exact description or picture of it. It's most likely a hybrid as it was bought at Lowe's or Home
Depot about 7 months ago and it's obviously nowhere near maturity.
The leaves are thick and leather-like with  very thin red borders around the edges, and all new leaves start out
as a rusty-brownish color before turning green.
The pitchers are 3" (7.6cm) tall, green on the outside and red on the inside.
It is being grown as a lowlander and seems to be doing very well although it is a relatively slow grower.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

Your doing a great job growing it
smile.gif
. It's A N. x Judith Finn without a doubt. I can't seem to get mine to do anything
sad.gif

I agree with ragnarok. My Judith Finn looks just like your plant!
biggrin.gif

Pitchers are 3 inches!?! Holy moly. My x Judith Finn, while it's recently started growing very well, has only made 1 1/2 inch pitchers....Cool....Now I something to look forward too!!

I have a few of these x Judith Finns. my biggest one is making 5-6" pitchers but it didn't really start growing big pitchers until I put it in my highland tank in June.

Well my big Veitchii x Truncata isn't that after all...it's a J.Finn. Heh, and to think I have pitchers on it 6 inches tall. I hope it comes bakc from the freeze. Yeah that's right 6 inch tall J.Finn pitchers here.
smile.gif

I heard that they will get to 9 or more inches tall when mature.

i have a mature N. x judith finn. it was in poor shape when i got it w/ no pitcher and still it hasn't produced a pitcher yet. hopefully in time it will. it is just now starting to put out new leaves. so maybe sometime soon.

Thanks everyone for the info and the nice comments. Now I know what I have.
If this plant is a mix of N. Veitchii (lowland) and N. Spathulata (highland),
wouldn't it be considered an intermediate?
The temp range in my enclosure is 70 degrees at night, and 86 during the day
with all 6 40W flourescents of different wavelengths on. A little warmer during
the summertime. It seems to like a lot of light and it gets 60 to 90% humidity.
It's mostly left alone except for a couple of daily heavy mistings and an occasional
cricket, fruitflies, or fruitfly larvae (I have a fruitfly culture in a closet...my wife yells
at me when they escape). The soil is cedar bark, charcoal, peat, clay balls (forget
what they are called) and a small amount of sand.

Shloaty, as you know, each new pitcher will be a little bigger than the previous one.

NG, sorry to here about the freeze. My outdoor cp's are going to take a hard one
tonight. We learn something new every day on this discussion group.

GeorgeCP, the one in the pic was not in very good shape when I got it (considering
it' source) and it was 3 months or more before it started growing. The new leaves
are a good sign.

Yes, sometimes Neps can surprise you. I got my large JFinn when it was a bad looking 4 leaf/no pitcher plant (the others were browned/blackened) in a 3" pot under a clear dixie glass covered in hardwater stains-by little pot of horors brand CPs. It turned out to be the most robust grower of the 3 J Finns that I have (or rather, had, I traded one to someone on this board).
This would probably be OK in intermediate but my only choices are lowland or highland so I eventually put it in the highland chamber. I had it for about 6 months growing in the lowland tank but the leaves started to unfold deformed but I haven't had a deformed leaf since I moved it and the size increased a good deal. At least doubling leaf and pitcher size since moving it. In January I will have had this plant only 1 year.

I found in my J.Finn it like cooler temps. SO I would classify it as the spathulata parentage being more dominant and therefore it prefers highland conditions. I gotta get another one if mine doesn't make it....love them pitchers...
smile.gif

hope your judith finn makes it threw the winter N.G.

i'll probly get another 2-3 of them next year some time. this time i'll get a baby one right out of tc to see how it does.

I hope so too, it was the first Nep I ever owned....got it 2 years ago. It's my old friend, and I don't wanna loose it!
sad.gif
smile.gif

I know what you mean. I got my first Nepenthes (x Judith Finn) two years ago from Lowes. I don't know how many times I put it through shock. I tried puting it out side a couple of times, but it wilted every time. Then, I was giving it hard water, and too much heat. Eventualy, I put it in a larger, "self watering" pot with some very bad soils (woodland sheet moss). Then, I tried it on a cold windowsill in St. Louis in winter, and repoted it into new zealand sphagnum moss, with the same, dry pot. Months passed by, then I noticed that it had no roots. So, I put it with my truncata, and it is now a healthy, yet small for its age, nepenthes in a stable environment. Happier than it ever was, the end
smile.gif

Hmmmm,
My x Judith Finn is in my Lowland chamber, which I keep around 80 degrees (+ or - 5) pretty much all the time. I exploded into growth when I put it in there. In about three months it developed 12 or 15 pitchers, with more on the way (fast pitcher-er, isn't it?).
I suppose I could put it upstairs, where it's in the low 70's durring the day and low to mid 60's at night, but that's too cold, right?
confused.gif

Depends what Veitchii parent it was crossed with and how dominant it is in the hybrid.

... Doesn't sound at all like a N. x Judith Finn
confused.gif
.  That's wicked fast, and this hybrid just isn't fast at all in most people's (including mine) experience.

That like a gracilis or thorellii!
biggrin.gif
Mine wasn't super fast but it wasn't pokey, keep up with my ventricosa but still was behind a leaf or two in speed.

Thanks everyone for the info . It's growing nice, healthy leaves and pichers, which tells me that it is adaptable enough to live in it's surroundings.

I did a little research on the N. Judith Hindle and it looks like that is what I have. Thanks for sending me in the right direction.

Woa, are we crossing sarracenia and nepenthes now!
wow.gif
smile.gif

alandallas- it's N. x 'Judith Finn'
wink.gif

Back