What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified pepper soon to be cut open and seeds up for grabs depending...

Hi There,

At a recently created community garden in my townhome complex (year and a half ago), there are about six plots, about three foot by 20 foot. There are each shared by two people. I have one with a neighbor. It is doing well with several exotics. While working there yesterday afternoon, I found a largish beautiful red pepper that I cannot id. It has cool indentations (whatever the word is) and kinda curves in on itself a bit. Considering the age and grouping of most of the folks here
I doubt it is most anything more than a mild jalapeno. But I could be wrong. It is 3 inches by 1.5 inches at the widest point. I am growing some ghosts and the like but most others I am sure are not. In any case, here are some pics of the pepper. I plant to cut it open soon, try it out and keep the seeds. After drying out, if you might want to try a few let me know. Probably sase, I imagine. And if you think you know what it might be feel free to chime in.

IMGP8369_zps5e9c8ade.jpg

IMGP8370_zpsbe12b1b0.jpg

IMGP8371_zps89ed178b.jpg

Posts or email please gnixon@satx.rr.com The PN box fills up too fast.:)

Cheers!

Is it a hot peper cuz it slightly resembles a butch t scorpion mine are similar to that but not as shiny

I'll try some Paul all I have is ghost peppers.

I don't think it is a scorpion, at least not the red. I got one from a Thai place here and it curves more at the tip and is fatter and shorter. And just taking a sniff of it, it does not have that sharp smell the super hots have. In a day or so I will cut it up and try a piece. Will save whatever seeds are there.

Take a bite of it... you'll find out what it is. Looks hot to me so im out but love the mystery behind.. gl to the lucky recipients

I cut it open today, it has no heat whatsoever. I wonder if it might be a pimento or something similar? Thin walled, touched my tongue to the cut surface and nothing. Then I ate a piece - it was pretty mild. Would look good in a salad or maybe on a sandwich. In any case, you can see that there will be a fair bit of seeds, at least thirty I would think. Make that thirty five. And I had another piece closer to the stem end, that had some heat. Then a small bit of the placenta, that had a bit more heat and some sting. I am going to go with a mild to medium jalapeno. Seeds will be ready in about a week for those who want them. Ciao!

Looked like a smoking gun but with no bang......

Back