What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified nep, any guesses?

I bought this huge nep at a really good deal from a local greenhouse which considered it very much an oddity. They had it in their care for a year or so and for being in a beautifully maintained greenhouse it was seriously declining.
After a few moments if indecision, I couldn't help but attemp a rescue. The plant was potted in a 8-10" hanging basket with no pitchers left and most of the tendrils dried and blackening.:sorry: It's spent the summer in dappled light outdoors and now is moved to an indoor greenhouse for the winter.
I am a sundew guy if I had to claim a genus and know little about the neps.
Can anybody tell me what nep I got?
nepphoto_zps12d33bb4.jpg

402789_377647418973250_543401175_n.jpg

231212-1807_zpsa9e12624.jpg

Last edited:
odds are very high that you have one of the following:
1) N x ventrata
2) N x 'Miranda'
3) N x 'Judith Finn'

your image does not work btw.

sorry about the pic, working to resolve now
should be ok now.

Last edited:
my guess is N x Miranda

I strongly agree with pebes.

Thanks for weighing in drew and pebes!
Certainly the $ was right! After the damage was done, I paid 40$ for a plant with 5+ growth points and a basal or two.
I am a sucker for "saving" a plant, and it seems this pointless behavior has finally paid off! Only problem is it's huge----taking up over 30% of the space in my greenhouse.

Who needs rooted cuttings???

If I can part with them...hehe:crazy:

Yeah I vote Miranda too. Def not ventrata or Judith Finn.

Take cuttings root them for practice and do a noobie giveaway. Or give away the fresh cuttings.

I currently have 2 rooted cuttings starting to pitcher and will be doing a giveaway on them soon, so please check back or PM me with inquiries.

Would this fit into the lowlanders?

N. Miranda will do well in just about any condition. I've had one for a couple years now that has endured everything, from full shade and 10% humidity (where it did pitcher occasionally) as well as temps of 45-90 degrees Fahrenheit, all the way to constant 80 F temps and 85-90% humidity. As long as you see leaves appearing, don't worry too much about its conditions, more so pure water and preferrably higher light levels than mine had. :D

Here is the poor thing stuffed in the top shelf of my tent-house.

Tent-house.jpg

And the first pitcher on a cutting.

Nepcuttingwithfirstpitcher.jpg

Last edited:
Back