What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UNCC hybrids (lot o' pics)

These were taken today during the big ol' plant sale. The plants are waking up, but I'm told they're still a good month or so away from hitting their full glory. All of Dr. Mellichamp's hybrids are in a bog together. He says he doesn't create new ones anymore.

The shots have been cropped and shrunk (and I'm hardly a great photographer to begin with), but I think I got at least a long shot of them all. I still have the originals (for now) in 2592x1944. If anyone wants to see something in hi res I'll send it.

Here's the hybrid bog. There are quite a few other plants in there as well - orchids, other CPs, and probably things I don't notice.

vqmkk0.png

Closer shots:

2f0f1ad.png

rksx1x.png

s25dzd.png

dfafwz.png

10emz60.png

16lzbme.png

30s908k.png

10qe348.png

16atrae.png

2qukcps.png

He had two (divisions?) of the 'Ritchie Bell' hybrid up for sale. He said he hasn't yet made that one commercially available.

jzfhuv.png

50k3td.png

Beautiful. I'd like to see that in the spring. ;)

That's quite the bog there. Some of those names were kinda weird, tattletale delegation, really? Everything looked pretty good but I imagine it will look even better in a few months.

Such robust plants! None of my sarr stalks, except maybe flava, are half as thick as those.

Where they having some type of show there?

back in the early 90's Dr. Mellichamp along with a few other started a club for cper's near nc..he had at that time a spring and fall sell..i was one of the lucky ones to get some of Dr. Mellichamp's named and un-named hybrids at that time..he had so many he was letting a friend of his sell /trade them..dave crump was/is hes name..last i spoke to dave most of the hybrids have been traded or sold..more than likely though knowing dave he has a few tucked away..at one of our first meetings we auctioned off some of the more rare cp's plants(at that time, most are common now) this is were i bought my first nepenthes and shortly after that lost it..it took me many years to figure out how to get them started..the internet was the biggest help when i finally got a pc..i'm long winded.lolololol

Awesome pictures, thanks for posting.

I got my first plants from David Crump. He said that I could get a tour from Dr. Mellichamp when I bought some sarr's from him. But didn't know squat at the time about anyone in the hobby. I will give David a call to see if they still do this meeting down there. Thanks frogintn2
Andy

Yep, it was the Spring Sale. I don't know if they still have a CP club, but Dr. Mellichamp did say he was doing a bog workshop sometime this spring. If I recall, it's going to cover how to make a minibog containing CPs native to North Carolina, which you then take home.

They weren't sure when it would be... the end of May was mentioned. You can check out their site; they put up a monthly calendar of events, and you can sign up for a newsletter. You could also just drop by or call and ask questions if you aren't worried about pestering people. That's what I did. :D

It's on campus, so the atmosphere is pretty casual.

http://gardens.uncc.edu/

Well maybe I will be able to make it down there for the fall. Thanks for the info.
Andy

Back