What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There doesn't seem to be too many people answering people's questions in the huge dormancy and hibernation topic. Maybe it was intendedp primarily for read only? Anywho, I posted this in there, and got no answer, so I thought I'd post it as a seperate topic since dormancy time is now.
smile.gif

Here's my origional post:

Just wanted to know if it would hurt my VFT's to go straight into the fridge after the gradually reduced photoperiod, and without gradually reduced temps, or if I am supposed to gradually reduce temps as well, and any suggestion on how to do that artificially would be fantastic. Here are my specs:

1.) I live in Alberta, Canada where winter outdoor temps reach as low as -20 regularily. Lots of snow, cold winds and ice.

2.) Indoor winter temps. stay fairly steady at 70 degrees with our furnace set at that for comfort.

3.) My terrarium conditions are currently full lighting from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., and partial lighting from 2 until 8:30 p.m. (to attempt to simulate the natural daily movement of the sun). Next lighting change is this time next week when I shut the lights off at 8 p.m.
Temps are averaging 80 degrees, up to 85 on days when room temp goes above 75, and humidity is steady at 70%.

4.) My terrarium plants thus far include: 3 typical VFT's , 1 blood red VFT, 1 D. capensis, 2 D. capillaris and 4 freshly planted mimosa seeds, not yet sprouted.

All help is appreciated!

I have never had a problem with putting them right in the fridge when dormancy begins.

Simple, but to the point! That's all I needed to know, thank-you Tamlin!
smile.gif

Second that!

I have just stuck them on in ( well, maybe added some fungicide, but that is it. )

smile.gif

No fuss, No muss ( don't know why I like that saying
biggrin.gif
)

Back