What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultrasonic misters

• Thread starter mijako10
  • Start date
I recently moved my mini greenhouse into my basement since it was getting too hot during the day in my room. I also moved my plants down a rack. The greenhouse has four racks, I was using the two middle racks now I am using the two bottom racks. (I use one rack for sundews and butterworts and one rack for the non-sticky plants.)

Anyway, the humidity escapes through the bottom of the greenhouse over time so I'd like to buy a ultrasonic fogger to keep the humidity up but I don't know much about them...

1. Do you just set the mister in a bowl/tub of mineral-free water and turn it on?

2. Should I set the mister on the second rack and let the mist drift onto the plants below where humidity is a problem?.

3. Is this -click me- the type of thing to buy?

Thanks for your help.

1-yes
2- i'd put it on the top rack and let the vapor fall down, and i'd also put it on a timer, that way you can tweek it to come on when the humidity starts to get low. (say every 30 minutes for 5 minutes or whatever)
3-yes

Put your sticky plants on the third rack and put the fogger under that rack.

JustLikeAPill - Thank you

IceDragon - I would, but it gets much too hot up there, even in the basement.

no problem. how hot is "hot"?

85 to 95 degrees... it's not like an oven but the soil temp goes way up and the water in the trays is really warm.

well, 95 degrees is a bit too warm haha. 90 degrees is my day temp in my lowland terrarium.

if you add one of those personal clip-on fans, that should help cool down the plants. it blows on the water and damp soil, the water evaporates and cools down the plants. plus the air circulation help prevent fungus and helps leaves grow "hard" and not be flimsy.

The thing is the fog will mess up your sticky plants, so.... it's up to you...

really? why would it mess them up?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]really? why would it mess them up?

In my experience, misting washes away the dew, you get globes of water on the leaves, but nothing sticky. It wont harm the plants, and I've found it to be a good way to ease shocked plants back, but you can say goodbye to stick until it gets moved out of direct fire. Of course, it could be possible, if you can, I'd say put the humidified up top, then the non sticky below that, you should be able to keep the lower plants out of the direct line of fire, which is what you want. Hope that's of some help.

I would stay away from the Petsmart ones. They aren't very tough. I don't remember the name but if you search theirs a place called something Mart and it has tons of very tough ones and they're cheaper too. Search ultrasonic foggers.

Joe

Its mainland mart that you thinking of. Deffinatly the place to get one and be sure to get the float for it as well. This will allow you to use a much large resivour for your fogger.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is this -click me- the type of thing to buy?
Yup, thats the one. And you might consider buying a float whcih keeps the mister just below water level to produce maximum mist. Don't let the waterlevel get too low, I think the reason the water in my terrarium got up to 50*C was becuz the mister was standing in the terrarium, or the water level got too high or low. Hard to explain, really, I'll get a pic soon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you just set the mister in a bowl/tub of mineral-free water and turn it on?

I don't know whether the water vapor containing minerals in the air is a problem, might be if it lands on the soil and contaminates it. So use mineral free water just to be careful.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Should I set the mister on the second rack and let the mist drift onto the plants below where humidity is a problem?

Yes, I tried to use an air pump to circulate the mist after wrongly thinking that the mist would accumulate and float upwards out of its own accord, but don't do that otherwise you'll have a mist storm ravaging in your terrarium. The plants won't like it, believe me. Poor us who have to grow plants indoors in a terrarium and not experience sharing the joy of a garden where mother nature can do all the work of water, light and space provision. Well, its gotta be those lucky few...
smile_n_32.gif

Hope that helps,
Jason

I wouldn't say anything about mist messing up dew though, unless its really blasting mist, otherwise I should think it would add to it.

ever week or so i turn my humidifier on all the way on high (its a real humidifier under that terrarium attatched to the tank with a tube)

all the water vapor comes out and makes the terrarium white. this is how i water my terrarium. when i turn it off, the drosera plants have huge globules of dew on them and look great, however most of it's just water condesation and while it wont hurt the plants at all, it'll just dilute the dew.

More dew - more fun mwhahaha!
biggrin.gif

I used to use that method to water the seeds which were not under tray watering (bit like rain in nature), but eventually gave up after one of my seed pot was flooded from the mister spraying water into it, and I had to spend a whole hour saving the seeds in ways that I would not attempt to reproduce now...

dont mist cps with dew it can be harmful and will make them less effective at catching flys

which model is the best from mainland mart I cant decide on which one will last.

Just the basic one will put out quite a bit of fog. It'll fog a 4'x4'x4' with thick white fog. The float is handy but if its in the terrarium then you probably wont have room for a huge resevoir.

Joe

Back